Rendering SU objects

I’d very much appreciate advice on rendering.

My principal sue of SU is to create models of street furniture such as street lighting, road signs and utility poles. The aim is to add these to an existing street scene photograph.

I need to render these objects either before adding them to my street scene photograph or with the street scene photograph. I have been struggling with Photoshop’s 3D functionality but this is extremely limited and not very effective anyway. I am also aware that Adobe is going to remove Photoshop’s 3D feature anyway at some point; so I can’t use that.

I should appreciate any advice as to how I can best achieve what I need to do and with what programme/application. I have downloaded a free trial version of an application called ‘Fluidray’, which seems to render my SU creations well but I am then left not knowing how to bring those rendered images into my photograph or being my photograph into the application and render everything there. As you might guess, I am totally ignorant as to how these processes work or are expected to work.

Regards.

Andrew

What version of SketchUp are you using? Your profile says you are using SketchUp Free (Web). Is that right?

Could you provide some (unfinished) examples of what you created in SketchUp? And what is available as road signs etc., just to see what (detailed levels) you are trying to combine?

To add another piece to the puzzle, what is your budget.

No: I haven’t updated my profile. I’m now a full licence user.

Regards.

Andrew

Not quite sure: I just want it to do what I need it to do! In my simple little mind it seems so very straightforward. Clearly not necessarily so…

Within reason I’ll pay the going rate for the right product. Bear in mind also that I am starting from a complete zero base of knowledge.

Regards.

Andrew

Please do. That information helps us help you.

Do you want models with or without materials added? I’ll send some with so you can see what I need to add.

Basically, it’s wood, porcelain, steel/metal and glass/perspex.

I’ll upload: one telegraph pole; one street light and one road sign. The files are too big to upload with this. I’ll send them by e-mail if you let me have your address (probably by We Transfer if too large even for Outlook e-mail).

Regards.

Andrew

Have done. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A key question is what level of realism you seek. The more realistic, the more complex and fussy the process to get it just right.

You can click on my avatar and use the “Message” button to send me an e-mail.
Although I would prefer to keep things in the open here on the forum so others can also chime in.

An easy way I’ve found works well in the past is to use watermarks inside of SketchUp Styles panel. You can find watermarks under the ‘Edit’ section. Add a watermark, which only shows up in the background of your model, then position your street furnishings and/or move the camera around until they line up close enough to real-world size (Tip: using a scale figure as a reference may help).

Then render the scene using any rendering engine you have/prefer (Note: I’m using V-Ray here). I’ve also made sure to render the shadows as well for better realism.

Lastly, composite the render with the streetscape image and render together (Tip: if you want to ensure they are they exact same size so you don’t have to re-scale your rendered image, export a scene from SketchUp without your furnishings and set the export resolution to match the render engine output resolution. Here I’ve separated the shadows from the furniture render so that I can use the ‘Multiply’ Layer style and adjust transparency in Photoshop.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding setting up camera, adding watermarks or exporting images as we have great learning resources that you can watch to self-teach the basic tools of SketchUp. Good luck!

2 Likes

The aim is to make the photograph seem as if all added elements in it (i.e. the ones I have placed) are naturally there. I appreciate that there will be scale of realism achievable; I just want it to look in proportion to all the effort gone to create the very accurate models in SU in the first place (and eternal gratitude to John McClenahan without whose expertise, guidance and patience I would have achieved virtually nothing in that regard).

Hope that helps.

Regards.

Andrew

Completely understand the desire to keep things public. I can take screen shots of the models and post them here if that would be preferable. I’ll do that.

Regards.

Andrew

Thank you very much for that. It sounds very achievable, the only drawback being that I am completely at the starting point of all this; so your advice on watermarks, styles panel and getting the photograph into SU in the first place, is all completely beyond me. It feels like starting all over again - which I’m happy to do but would appreciate more step-by-step tutelage.

I’m a quick learner, though!

Regards; and thanks.

Andrew

Since you already know the terms in English (eg watermarks, styles, etc.), you can easily open Youtube in your internet browser and start searching for these terms. You will be able to find tutorials that will help you learn SketchUp.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sketchup+watermark

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sketchup+styles

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sketchup+import+photo

Many thanks. I’ll watch the tutorials. It’s just knowing where to start, what with and in what order. Hopefully the tutorials will point me in the right direction.

Regards.

Andrew

The middle signpost in Bilbury has been replaced by modern updated signage - I much prefer the oldie! Are you modelling from the 40’s/50’s?

I should greatly appreciate some basic first-steps on how to set everything up and in what order. Many thanks for the kind offer.

regards.

Andrew

Yes: that’s my era. I hold very comprehensive records of these elements and so can reproduce them in SU very accurately. It’s getting them from the model to the photo-realistic imposition into a photograph that is my challenge.

Regards.

Andrew