Reinstalling a New SketchUp

…a stupid question about reinstalling a new SketchUp

The situation
We (in the company where I work) are a team of about 20 active SketchUp users.
We remain on SU version 2021 as this is the last version that allows the use of Julia Eneroth’s Viewport Resizer plugin. Only with this plugin we can guarantee a synchronized export of 2D image data from SketchUp - completely independent of any individual user Sketchup setup and its randomly given viewport setup. Every user must be able to produce the same result every time.
I am very surprised that SketchUp has failed all these years to deliver a good 2D exporter which is not fixed to the randomly given viewport size which is constantly changing even on your own machine. And to be even clearer: I consider this to be an exceptionally critical flaw.
Without this standardized 2D export, cross-user collaboration remains impossible because any downstream and likewise standardized layout would no longer work. Likewise, further editing of a given project would remain impossible because without this export standardization we would not be able to reproduce new image data, which of course must be identical to those already made.
For this reason, only version 2021 is an option for us for a new SketchUp installation, for example, if we need to replace an old computer with a new one

Is it possible to get this old version 2021, even for a complete new reinstallation?

on the extension warehouse, Eneroth mentions that 2023 (and the change to QT framework) breaks it.
Therefore you could use 2022. and the file format is fully compatible between both.

But if you still want 2021, this german resseller has the versions still available
https://www.sketchup3d.de/download/center/#199-179-archiv

(english + german since 2015)

1 Like

…thanks ateliernab for pointing out version 2022 and your link.
(so such an “older” version should be easy to install with the given sketchup pro subscription license?)

I think we went round and round on this once before - but a standard Sketchup template keyed to a standard LayOut template (that everyone uses) would solve this problem without needing to run legacy software. You could export to PNG or JPG…

Good luck!

Have you asked Eneroth if they can write you a custom plugin that works in 24?

Maybe this from Fredo could help? Or he could modify it for what you need?

1 Like

yeah, installing these days has nothing to do with your subscription, you could install sketchup on 100 computers.

THEN, and only then, when people want to use sketchup on the computers, they have to log in. and log out after.

what you’re loosing with SU21 is the compatibility of the web services, the warehouses, location tool…
the warehouses can still be accessed in your browser though.

1 Like

Thanks bmike

Yes, I know that this topic is so annoying and I apologize again that I’m annoying you with it :wink: , but since I’m responsible for this work process in the company, I urgently have to find any solution.

We probably use more templates for absolutely everything than you can imagine :wink:
In our company, in 99% of cases, this happens with Adobe InDesign. The screenshot below of the same project shows the same SkUp scene, exported once by me and once by a colleague. If I would add 10 more exports from 10 other colleagues, we would see 10 different results.
Within native SketchUp, there is no consistency for 2D exports.

( :smile: although I’m probably one of the oldest SketchUp users here I still hope I’m just too stupid to understand the trick which would solve my problem - at the risk of embarrassing myself very strongly :sweat_smile:)

That’s the beauty of using a program designed for 2d export to do the 2d export…

Model, setup scenes, save. Send to LayOut, select the template, export to PDF, PNG, JPG…

Model is opened by another user? They can do the same.

I forget why you don’t want to use LayOut - but since you are wishing to keep within SketchUp I would message Eneroth and Fredo and offer to pay them to write a custom plugin for you.

If you export images from the viewport, then FredoPortrait Screenshot may be more adapted and quicker than FredoLayport.

1 Like

…Thanks again. Well, perhaps less a “beauty” than a requirement, I would say.
InDesign handles our entire colour management, serves print internally and externally, populates our server databases for both print and web publications, and all this in a remarkable quality.
I think this way of working is quite smart because, given the sheer volume of projects, it does not rely on our own hand manufactured layouting but on automated downstream processes instead.

I´m still not able to generate an image data export quality with SketchUp-Layout equal to that generated directly from SketchUp and I’m still looking for any settings in LO that improves the output.

:wink: If there was an option to unlock the export aspect ratio for SketchUp´s image export, a lot of my worries would be (mostly) solved

I don’t doubt the power you are harnessing with inDesign - I grew up on QuarkXpress and moved to the Adobe tools - but that was a long time ago in another life. If your entire system is built around that, great. But there should be a better way at getting images…

I’m curious about the trouble you are having with LayOut. I will create some images from a current project of mine in both LayOut and SketchUp and see if I get issues…

1 Like

You can on a Mac and the iPad versions. On the iPad, in fact, if you’re exporting a 2:3 ratio image, you’ll get some pixels in the export you don’t see on screen, if you can wrap your head around that. (Have you read this post by any chance?)

My workflow for Match Photo final images involves exporting a high resolution PNG from SketchUp to be composited in Photoshop with a high resolution version of the photo. I can specify the exact pixel count so it drops right on the photo in PS without having to futz around lining them up. Before realizing I could do this with Mac, I only specified the correct vertical pixel size, and cropping the correct horizontal was an extra step in PS.

1 Like

Great thread. Forgot about that one, and the house. Nice work.

This looks interesting, and might solve problems in this thread?

https://extensions.sketchup.com/extension/7c13e8dc-0399-49fe-9f09-b83baa8e9975/safe-frames

on PC too, I think HornOxx meant on layout.
if you export a layout file as image on PC, you can’t unlock the ratio. it exports the whole page at a certain dpi resolution.

Oh, I see, yes. Well in Layout can you make a custom paper size to correspond to the image aspect ratio you want and fill the “page”? I’ve never tried anything like that.

Does the Windows version of SU do this? Last I knew it didn’t. This is an example of how to specify a 2:3 ratio, 6 megapixel, PNG image with transparent background.

1 Like

if I had to go to indesign later that’s what I would do.

Say I need a 341x275 mm image in indesign, in theory I would probably make such a document as a custom layout file, place a viewport in fullpage, and export the page in 300+ dpi. or even in pdf.

that way, any change in the sketchup file will give me the exact same export - potentiall y with the same name - for easy replacement.

1 Like

Just playing around, I guess you can. Here’s a 16x9 aspect for HD video.

Thanks to All of You for your input here !!!

RTCool - I don’t get this unlock Width to Heigt option shown by you switched within my PC layout export … (hmmm - is it a PC-limitation maybe?)

@bmike - yes, it would be great if you could try “direct export” vs LO export. If you get equivalent results that would be good news and maybe I will learn which hooks and settings I have to take into account.

I just did a few, but don’t have much time to dive deep.

Quick ‘by eye’ is that the best quality is out of LayOut as PDF… will have to test again.

That’s my understanding. I’m not on Windows, but @DaveR told me this, IIRC. I don’t understand why Windows can’t do this.

With that limitation, you make the window wider than needed, specify the correct height and let the width run long, and then crop the width later in PS or the like. That is an extra step of work and a pain if you’re doing a lot of them.