Real-World Shadows, how to?

Yes, that was a Doh! moment for me with a similar Match Photo problem: SketchUp doesn’t know about daylight savings time, but your camera or phone does. If it’s in effect, you need to make the 1 hour correction.

It’s harder to tell with the web version. In the desktop version it states the time is UTC, so as I write this at about 1:30pm my time, and I am at UTC-7, I would need to set the time to 12:30PM to match what I’m seeing outside, because at the moment it is 7:30pm UTC, and not the 8:30pm that it is in London right now.

With the web version it doesn’t mention UTC, but it may still be showing UTC times.

I could swear that the feature was a native part of SketchUp when I first started with it (2002~3), and then it went away or became a plugin. I would suggest it be made a native part of the application, especially so you can use it in the web version.

1 Like

It was always a plugin but it was removed at some point and I believe only works in the pro version. I suppose it’s one of those things that differentiates the pro and hobby versions.

Oh, but, haha.

I should definitely try tomorrow!

So I have to put my time as it is in my timezone, adjusted adding or removing the difference from the Greenwich meridian…?

That’s right. SketchUp uses the standard time offset for the location. It does not adjust for daylight savings.

I have a feeling we aren’t talking about the same thing here, haha.

I talk about the time zones, so being in Italy, I’ve a +1 hour from the Greenwich meridian.
Which I don’t think it’s the “daylight savings” you’re mentioning.

I have to correct my actual time adding another +1, maybe?

Yes. That’s what @MikeWayzovski was asking you. SketchUp doesn’t automatically compensate for Summer Time since it isn’t practiced everywhere and where it is, starts/ends on different days.

Oh, Summer Time! NOW I get it.

Thanks again to everyone who was trying to suggest this! It’s time to try it.

Well, I have to say that, instead of adding a +1 to my actual time, I’ve subtracted it, so instead of trying with 2:36 PM I tried with 1:36 PM, and the shadows seems much more realistic in their positioning.

(I suppose Summer Time in Italy works like this now, adding a +1 to the “real” time, so I have to take that off.)

SO, now the situation is really better, BUT I’d like to improve it even more. What could I change?

May I ask what you are trying to achieve that you need to improve the shadow display more? How are you using the model you are creating?

Every question is fine, no worries.

I’d just use it for my personal use, mainly for plant positioning - I know, I know - and the… pleasure of learning something new.

Also, I know an occasion when I really need shadows position to be as accurate as possible could come, so I’d like to be prepared.

I can tell (and I believe you confirmed this to me too in previous posts) that moving my project some meters right or left into Sketch Up, without changing anything else, will not affect the shadows, so I can’t “place it more accurately”, for saying it so.

There’s some other option or thinks I could use?

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.