Push/"Drill" through more than one object/group

I have 3 wedges/shims. The bottom is in the red/green plane. The front is in the blue/green plane. Each is a different thickness (width on the bottom). Each is a unique group. I want to stack them, face to face, such that from the side, the 2D view looks sort of like pie slices. No problems so far.

I want to draw a circle on the face of the first wedge and then push it (“drill”) through all of the 3 wedges. How do I accomplish this ?

After I get this accomplished, how do I show the lines of the hole going through these objects ?

hi, Are wanting to put a hole through 3 groups ?

Phil

Yes, that is exactly what I want to do.

Ok , First hide the second two groups( right click hide ) .Select the first group and edit and draw the circle. Select the circle and go to edit and select copy. While still in the the group pull the circle through a little past the shape. Then select all of the first group with the tube and right click and intersect with selection . Know erase the faces you do not want thus giving you a hole through it. Come out of editing mode and right click and hide. Turn on hidden geometry and a mesh will appear showing the hidden groups. Right click on the next group and right click and unhide and turn off hidden geometry ( view > hidden geometry)
Go into the editing mode of the next group and then go to edit at the top by file menu and select paste in place . You can know pull the circle through again and repeat the process .
I have hidden the groups as it is a little lest confusing . you can unhide them all when finished.

Phil

[quote=“bestistmate, post:4, topic:1541”]
Ok , First hide the second two groups( right click hide ) .Select the first group and edit and draw the circle. Select the circle and go to edit and select copy. While still in the the group pull the circle through a little past the shape. Then select all of the first group with the tube and right click and intersect with selection . Now erase the faces you do not want thus giving you a hole through it. Come out of editing mode and right click and hide. Turn on hidden geometry and a mesh will appear showing the hidden groups. Right click on the next group and right click and unhide and turn off hidden geometry ( view > hidden geometry) Go into the editing mode of the next group and then go to edit at the top by file menu and select paste in place . .[/quote]

Everything worked as you said except the “paste in place”. It put the first (left most) group back without the hole ???

Well, I got it done. I don’t think I can explain exactly how I did it. Something like

• make the 3 wedges as 3 separate groups
  • align the edges of the groups as desired
  • hide the second 2 groups
  • select and edit the first group
  • place circle on the front face of the first group and push the circle well
    past where the end of the third wedge would be
  • some how I selected what I had pushed and cut it (This is key)
  • use paste in place
  • use intersect with model/context to to put the intersection on the wedge
  • delete what you don’t want
  • hide that group
  • unhide the next group
  • paste in place
  • repeat

With the plugin VisuHole (Fredo6) this can be achieved with one click, see screencast:

https://www.screenr.com/8LGN

Great you sorted it then . You can use the plug in as suggested . But when learning I think it’s good to now and understand the native tools and there capabilities. They are also a lot more reliable.

Phil

It looks like from your picture that you have a extra face in the middle one. Just move them apart and you will see better

Phil

Plugins are wonderful things, but Phil is right. There’s simply no need of a plugin here.
Every new user needs to learn how to accomplish such elemental tasks with SU’s native tools.
Suggesting a plugin merely hinders their learning.

-Geo

Actually I “lost” the face of the holes interior ! “Close enough for …” !!!

Well it was definitely a “learning experience” !

I am a very “occasional” SketchUp users (I just figured out that Google no longer owns SketchUp !) so it is a real toss up between learning something new (understanding concepts is good) and getting a (very simple) job done quickly. (I probably put 4-6 hours into it, but now I understand “paste in place” and how to used hidden objects.)

I am orders of magnitude ahead with SketchUp versus a pencil and paper ! It is kind of “fun” learning a new tool at my age. (The first CAD system I ever saw used a mini-computer as big as a large desk and a “direct view storage” CRT,)

You are right for a beginner, but I think more advanced users will read this topic too and for them the hint to a useful plugin might be helpful. I know a lot of useful plugins only because of such hints in forum topics…

I agree Cotty, but I also agree with the others here… most tasks can be achieved with the basic toolset… For me I stumbled across this while look for ways to punch windows through compound wall assemblies created using profile builder 2. I might have to do this numerous times so the plugin potentially speeds up the task.

Regards