Please help me define colors from the Rijksmuseum

Sikkens Rijks kleuren, Colors Rijksmuseum Amsterdam.pdf (141.4 KB)

I found these beautiful colours I want to use on my project from the renovation of the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. With the free web version I cannot define my own colors. Can somebody please do that for me?

I have enclosed a pdf with the colors and the RGB-values of the colors. And I have made a model “Sikkens Rijks kleuren, Colors Rijksmuseum Amsterdam (empty)” which can be downloaded, filled in and uploaded again without the “(empty)”.

I would be very much obliged.

sikkens-colors.skp (98.2 KB)
Sikkens-colors-1.pdf (2.9 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks for the effort and the lightning turn-around-time. The colors seem a little bit off though. When I check them with the color-picker the RGB-values are between 5 and 20 off. How did you generate the model? Did you use the RGB-values from the document? (I used "general RGB, not sRGB, nor Adobe RGB.)

Thanks anyway so far.

In SketchUp Make 2017

col-03

Thanks for explaining what you did. I assume you used the first method you were showing: define the color based on RGB-values; and not the second: define the color with the color-picker?

I have read up on the problem, and a lot of factors come into play with producing the right color: structure, color, light and shade based on date/time/location and different color spaces used by different components like color picker/sketchup/computer. I do not understand how this all works together.

But … I found out I can produce a color in the freeweb version by defining the background color in “Display”. Then I can see I get the same color in the background as in the pdf with the original colors when I use “native values” in the color picker.

Could you try again with these native values? Of course I would understand when you say no. But I hope you will.

Sikkens Rijks kleuren, Colors Rijksmuseum Amsterdam, native values.pdf (141.5 KB)

sikkens-colors-v2.skp (98.7 KB)
In order not to depend on others when you want to make such simple changes or more complex ones, you can use SketchUp Make 2017.

1 Like

@mihai.s

Thanks. With the naked eye it seems ok now. With the colorpicker you see that there are still big differences.

This will have to do.

Thanks a lot for producing these models. Next time I’ll be using SketchUp Make 2017.

Note that in a SketchUp model all objects get shading that depends on their relation to the current light direction. By default the light comes from the direction of the camera. When you go to the Shadows tray and turn on eithet shadows or the “use sun for shading”, the light comes from the sun and the shading is regulated by the Light and Dark sliders on the tray. If you turn on “use sun for shading” and set the Light slider to 0 and Dark slider to 80, the colours on screen should look “flat” and match closely the swatches in your Materials tray.

3 Likes

@Anssi. Thanks for the advise. I’ve tried “use sun for shading and set the Light slider to 0 and Dark slider to 80” in SketchUp Make 2017 and indeed the colors look like on the sample.

I can’t find these settings in the free/web version. I can download an .skp from the free/web version in the 2018 skp-version. But this won’t work in Make 2017.

SU team is reportedly working on to restore the 2017 skp download from web version… let’s wait and see. :slight_smile:

Edit:
I just checked and it is there again:

1 Like

There are several issues that should be considered when using true colors:

• The color from screen eye dropper will be influenced by sketchup shading, face normal, shadow diection, shadow settings, and so on…
  • The safest method for input is using the RGB values as @mihai.s showed.
  • However having a material with a color instead of a texture yields wrong results in terms of Sketchup’s color display.
  • Textured materials are consistent so you should base your materials on textures.
  • The fastest method for material creation based on texture is by importing an image into sketchup.
  • However this image has several colors and should be used to create several materials.´

The best process for this is the following:

One Image Several Materials

1. Convert the PDF to PNG without compression (I used Affinity Photo, but Krita or Gimp work too);
  2. Import the image into Sketchup as an image (not as material)
  3. Draw a square on a color patch
  4. Group the image and the square
  5. Scale it up until your rectangles are big enough for a nice material (2mx2m) using the tape measure tool
  6. Explode the image
  7. Delete geometry you don’t need (image and extra squares)
  8. Right click on each square and use “Make unique Texture”
  9. Erase Sketchup figure and purge the model (Model Info > Statistics)
  10. Change each texture name to match the pdf (I would press B for paint bucket and ALT+click on each material, go to edit mode, change name, repeat)
1 Like

@dezmo. Yep, after restarting computer and SketchUp the 2017 model is available. Thanks for letting me know.

@JQL Thanks for the elaborate description.

Note: this can be done in Make 2017, not in web/free version.

I keep forgetting there is a web version… Sorry! I didn’t read this was meant to be done in the web version.