Please add 2 dropdowns and revise palettes in pro to be like web version

I agree the free web version is a step in the right direction. Simple and clean. I just don’t like web based programs. Its kinda like wireless internet. Wired will always work better. The fly-outs are just not as responsive as they would be in a real program (clunky to hide too). Plus the I don’t like having to storing my models in the Trimble cloud. The slight pausing is annoying and changing tools is kinda jumpy. If they would let us download a native app of the web version I bet those problems would not exist.

There have been cross-platform portable GUI kits available for years. Most likely the answer is lack of resources, but it isn’t known (at least publicly) why SketchUp has never done anything to unify the Mac and Windows versions. They seem to have been developed independently years ago based on taking the easiest path on each, and the Mac version has been left almost untouched ever since, even ignoring some improvements users have made via trivial editing of the .nib files.

I don’t know whether there is any potential to back-fit the web-style GUI onto the desktop versions to accomplish unification? A single, uniform GUI would certainly make documenting, teaching, and using SketchUp easier!

2 Likes

Cross-platform GUI kits SUCK, and I go back to XVT forward to Flash and QT. Everyone who supports them hates them, and they take a least-common-denominator approach to platforms (PC, Mac, Linux) which Microsoft and Apple hate. If they were great, clearly they would have ruled the world by now.

1 Like

Adobe seems to have done pretty well with it.

And which cross-platform kit do they use?

Their own, I suppose. Just saying that in Adobe software, the GUI is the same on all platforms (for the most part), and it seems to have served them well on their quest for world domination :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.