Old stl file needs surgery (Sketchup 2016 Pro)

Here’s a basic video of how I would do it. I haven’t used any specific dimensions but I have used inferencing to position the holes. The only thing off screen is ‘Make Group’. Also note I pull all the circles on axis, meaning they follow the red, green or blue axis so that the vertices are in a predictable position. I’ve also avoided the ‘hole being the same size as the ‘Bump’ this allows the hole to cut through a face rather than hit an edge. (which is causing an issue in your model.)

GIF 2-09-2025 10-06-49 PM

Box

Thanks f/that intel, I will dive into that next.

Here’s the measurements to recreate the model. The outside diameter measure for t convex ring (the ? mark) is fluid; this measure is aesthetic and if its a little different it’s fine.

Let me know if you need anything else from me.

THANK YOU.

CS

Box

I forgot to include the measure f/t top and bottom rims:

Try this.

Celing Light Round converted Redraw_2016.skp (883.0 KB)

Good Morning Box

Your redo looks perfect.

But SketchUp repeatedly crashes exporting it to an .stl. Tried multiple times (mm’s), even tried ‘inches’ conversion and that crashed also. Conversion error mssg:

SketchUp STL Exporter:
An error occured during export.

undefined method -' for nil:NilClass C:/Users/Carls/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:226:in get_vertex_order’
C:/Users/Carls/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:106:in write_face_ascii' C:/Users/Carls/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:98:in call’
C:/Users/Carls/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:98:in write_face' C:/Users/Carls/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:76:in block in find_faces’
C:/Users/Carls/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:73:in each' C:/Users/Carls/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:73:in find_faces’
C:/Users/Carls/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:80:in block in find_faces' C:/Users/Carls/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:73:in each’
C:/Users/Carls/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:73:in find_faces' C:/Users/Carls/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:68:in export’
C:/Users/Carls/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:341:in block in do_options' C:/Users/Carls/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/events.rb:82:in call’
C:/Users/Carls/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/events.rb:82:in block in trigger_event' C:/Users/Carls/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/events.rb:78:in each’
C:/Users/Carls/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/events.rb:78:in trigger_event' C:/Users/Carls/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/window.rb:357:in event_control_callback’
C:/Users/Carls/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/window.rb:311:in callback_handler' C:/Users/Carls/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/window.rb:269:in block in add_callback’
C:/Users/Carls/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/window.rb:203:in call' C:/Users/Carls/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/window.rb:203:in show_modal’
C:/Users/Carls/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/window.rb:203:in show' C:/Users/Carls/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:362:in do_options’
C:/Users/Carls/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:375:in main' C:/Users/Carls/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:395:in block in module:Exporter’
SketchUp:1:in `call’

Celing Light Round converted Redraw_2016.stl (520.1 KB)

Box

STL opened in Cura, but tiny. The mm measurement numbers seem close to inch model corresponding numbers:

Scale then.

GIF 3-09-2025 10-37-48 PM

Printing the latest .stl file you sent. .

I stopped the printer as it was laying down the foundation brim, those two ‘bars’ in the center stretching between two o/t hole spaces and the little artifact (the ‘frown’) where the third hole would have been - those should not have been there. Those artifacts do not appear in the new .stl model you sent (view’d in SketchUp).

I just opened the g code file in Cura and used the sliding bar “preview” function (on the right side) to view the first few layers of the gcode sliced file - those ghostly artifacts don’t appear!

Those were basically the same artifacts that appeared in the 1st .stl model you made up (that had some problems). Those artifacts are the foundation for a ‘support’ structure - but I had unchecked “support” for this slice.

Celing Light Box.gcode (14.0 MB)

BTW I used Barbarian Units to convert your remake of the model I downloaded this AM. The small one - I clicked ‘convert to mm’ and it worked.

Box

Your file seems fine. I think this is now a Cura problem. I’ll look into settings and try some reprints and see what happens. If this print problem persists I’ll get on a Cura forum.

You’ve gone above and beyond to get this done and I’m grateful to encounter you again after all these years.

Thank you again for your generous expenditure of time on my behalf.

Carl Simring

I’ve had a similar problem in Cura some time ago.

I downloaded an .stl of a nice vase and wanted to try out how big my printer could make it in vase-mode.

I scaled it up in Cura and it printed with a lot of “shortcuts” like your print seems to have.

When I looked at the “preview” in Cura I could see all the “shortcuts”. After scaling down again, they were gone…

Must have been a glitch in the Cura matrix..

                            Case closed!
  ![pring|600x478](upload://nHh4Yn4OYaocjLngobZRwUkPARX.jpeg)

Your post isn’t really telling us much.

All we are seeing is this. Possibly in white background for you.

Hopefully, I’m glad you have managed to either export the stl correctly or resolved issues with your slicer software and been able to print what you needed.