Notebook powerful enough to run sketchup?

Hi! I’m looking to buy a laptop as a gift to my mom for her to use Sketchup. I would like it to run the program smoothly and to handle 3d render without major problems. Though I am quite familiar with computer stuff, I have never used Sketchup or any other rendering program before.

Would this suffice?

Lenovo LOQ

• Intel Core i5 12450H
  • 16GB RAM DDR5 4800MHz
  • SSD M.2 512 GB
  • Nvidia RTX 2050 4GB GDDR6

Thank you in advance!

A rather import question is Why?
Are you buying this simply as a generous gift or is her current computer struggling with her models.
I ask this because people often try to throw hardware at what is actually a workflow issue and it usually results in disappointment.
If your mother’s models are lagging a fancy new computer may slightly reduce the lag but it may well be that a few simple changes to her work habits would make things sing and you could spend the money on something else.

2 Likes

I see, let me elaborate a bit more, then.

She recently started taking a course at Interior Design. Until now, she was using an old notebook I borrowed her, which contains a i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM and a GTX960m. I was planning on giving it to her and buying me a new one, but some colleague at the course said to her it wouldn’t be enough for the next part of the course, which will require Sketchup and AutoCAD. So I started looking for more powerful ones, but we can’t afford the Tier S of gaming notebooks, and this one seemed to have interesting specs

Thank you for the reply! Do you think programs like AutoCAD would be fine for it as well?

Thank you for the prompt response!

I won’t comment on Autocad, due to limited experience with it.
But with Sketchup and Interior Designers, all too often they have issues with slow models because they fill their model with over complex details.
It is understandable, they want flowing curtains and throw pillows and tastefully wrinkled coverlets on the beds and books with shiny labels etc etc etc
But there is a budget in sketchup, the more edges and faces and textures and images you throw in it the harder it has to work and quite often better hardware doesn’t help.

3 Likes

Understood. So I can assume that regardless of any hardware I get, slow models is a problem she might eventually face, so I better get a budget-friendly notebook as the one I mentioned and try to solve this through some software optimizations and “work habits” as you stated before. Does that make sense?

Pretty much, but basically for sketchup you want the fastest single core processor, meaning 16 cores doesn’t help if the speed is lower than 4 cores etc
A good dedicated Graphic card, most prefer Nvidia
And as much Ram as you can afford.

1 Like

If you are going to buy her a computer, don’t skimp. Get one with a fast CPU and a current Nvidia graphics card. That should serve her well. But it won’t fix poor modeling habits. I work with a lot of interior designers and by far the biggest problems they have stem from poor model management. No amount of expensive hardware will fix that. She should learn to create streamlined models which will be easier to work with and require less time.

1 Like

Got it. Would a Intel Core i5 12450H suffice in that matter, also considering she is a begginer and has just started studying?

I’m not planning to skimp, but I’m afraid I simply don’t have the money to buy the top notch notebook in the market. They are pretty expensive where I live, and even the best ones are not as good as the best ones avaiable in the US market, for instance. I was looking for one that would be just enough and at least wouldn’t give her much headaches, specially in the beggining of a potentially new career

I’m not suggesting that you blow your entire savings. But don’t buy her a wally world special priced at a dollar three ninety eight, either.

Also make sure your mom knows about this forum. She can get loads of assistance here.

1 Like

Will definetly do! Sorry if I’m repeating myself, but just to clarify, in your opinion you think the model I mentioned would not be a good deal all things considered?

I expect it would be a good option. A bigger SSD wouldn’t hurt if it’s an option.

1 Like

Noted! Thanks a lot for your patience and attention!

1 Like

Here is a benchmark list, generally the higher up the better.
I think the one you mention is 210 on the list. This gives you something to compare other options you may look at.

2 Likes

By the way, this is an exaggeration of low poly and over detailed.
The curtain on the left is 700 entities and the one on the right is 77000.

3 Likes

Regardless of workflow and optimizations by modeling.

Intel and AMD use the same architecture, X-86, programs aren’t optimized for intel or AMD as someone commented, a single core program like sketchup and autocad, will perform better with the processor that has better single core performance. Having said that, intel has a slightly advantage over AMD on single core performance but the power consumption is a lot higher and also generates more heat, for a notebook the performance is important but the efficiency is more important.
GPU’s on the other hand are a different story, Nvidia has drivers and is better optimized to be used with some programs, specially rendering engines, than AMD’s gpu’s, some programs like V-ray can make use only of Nvidia’s gpus, for 3D and rendering is definitely better.

Now, if I had to buy a powerful and efficient laptop for sketchup and autocad, I’d get an M2 or M3 MacBook Air, there’s no windows machine with the level of power and efficiency of a MacBook nowadays. It’s just my opinion, for now I think that desktops are better using a powerful Nvidia gpu with a power hungry gpu, but apple laptops are better than any other laptop on the market.

If anyone thinks I’m wrong it’s fine, just don’t try to start a discussion, this is a forum where we can have different opinions.

1 Like

To be honest, I don’t see that much of a difference in practical point of view. But then again, I’m a total newbie in rendering stuff xD. Still, I guess I know what you mean when you mentioned the room for optimizations before buying a new hardware.

Edit: I think I replied to the wrong comment, it should have been the one with the picture

That was my point, 77000 entities will quickly cripple a model without adding anything useful.
We had one yesterday that not only had hundreds of bolts, complete with threads, each bolt had a 3 digit number made up of hugely complex 3d text. Just one bolt was more than you needed to build an entire house.

1 Like