Is this computer good for sketchup work(2)?

Hello! Is this computer good for sketchup work
Neo Graphics (Ci3-10105F 3.7GHz/8GB/512GB/GTX 1650 4GB/Thor X-Game) (93042LC)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650

Not sure about the Neo Graphics bit as it is unknown to me personally, unless it is part of the new Lenovo series?. That said, the i3 10th gen CPU tends more towards day-to-day use, while the nVidia GTX1650 with the Turing architecture is more aimed at gaming, which Sketchup will like.
It’s worth checking if the suggested 4GB graphics RAM is correct, as I thought the 1650 comes with 6GB; either way, the more RAM on a dedicated (note - NOT integrated) graphics card, the better SU will perform.
Being very open about it, my preference would be to aim for something beefier, but overall it depends how you are intending to use Sketchup. For relatively complex geometry in well maintained files, you should be fine.
There are bound to be folks on the Forum who may disagree with me, but that is the benefit of the Forum, to get a good cross-section of opinions to help you along. Good luck.

1 Like

main question is… describe “work”.

are you going to work on it 8h a day, sketchup only ?
are you going to do renderings too (considering your other post, probably)
what sort of work are we talking about ? small projects, furnitures, decoration, a small flat - or big ones, multi level building with interior, neighbourhood, an airport…

Sketchup has quite a low requirement, it could run on a potato with a screen. but depending on what you aim to do, you might need to beef it up a bit.

And if you plan on using a rendering software, it will have higher needs than sketchup. Always pick your hardware according to the biggest software. Usually, 3d-render and video editors are the limiting factor.

1 Like

My laptop resembles that comment. :smile:

3 Likes

I understood you. thanks for the answer

:rofl: :joy: :laughing:
The SketchUp performance of the suggested CPU would be about on a par with my ultrabook laptop. It is quite enough for my small models but, although not a potato, no quantum computer either. The GPU is an OK midrange card, quite enough for any SketchUp work. 8GB RAM is a bit small for today’s needs.

1 Like

I plan to do interior design and rendering

In one of the place I teach SU, they have amazing computers :

1,8 Ghz i3, 4Gb ram, intel iris whatever. And yeah, it runs ok, at least to learn (because when you learn, you’re slow anyway).
Then someone downloads 4-5 things from the warehouse, and poof, computer catches fire.

So, sketchup won’t need a lot. in term of performances, you’re in the middle, between “tiny projects” and “oh yeah I’m designing an hospital today”
Your choice of rendering tool will define your needs.
I’m pretty sure your machine can run either vray, enscape, twinmotion and al. (I just checked, you might need to install an older version of twinmotion though)
But you’ll be at the light end of the scale, you have the minimal config of most rendering softwares these days.

The latest zillion problem models submitted to the forum have perhaps all been from interior designers. It is apparently quite easy to get carried away with the range of embellishments that can be found at the 3D Warehouse and stuff your model with these until SketchUp chokes.

3 Likes

arf. true.

the classic “why is this lampshade half your polygon count ? why is the texture of metal on your door handle 50 Mb ?”

And to be honest, almost half of the people I’ve taught these last few years are future (or current) interior designers. You may teach them to pick low poly low weight models from the warehouse, and they’ll answer “but that one looks better”.
hence the computers smoking.

Rinat, the machine you have will do for now. From your questions, I’d say you’re starting on this amazing journey, and it will do. But be prepare to maybe change it within a year. More RAM is always good, for renderings, a stronger graphics card
There have been a few threads here about the best config, anything between what you have now and the “best config” will be an upgrade.

and again, your pick of rendering software will weight a lot in your final decision.

2 Likes

Thank you. Did I understand you correctly? This machine will cope with the rendering, but the rendering speed will not be high

Thank you. I will take it into account

exactly. you’ll be able to install softwares, tweak the parameters and start rendering. but it will be slow.
add more RAM, it’ll be faster. change graphics card, same deal.

A few years ago, I had to render a 5 min animation in after effect. On an old '08 high config macbook pro, it took more than 35 min.
motherboard died, switched to a '15 high config imac, less than 10 min.

This is a bit the same here for you. and since you are basically at the lower end of the requirement, any upgrade you make will make your work faster.

1 Like

It depends, the processor lacks of performance for big models and could cause bottleneck, the gpu is fine but I would get at least an i5 11th gen, it has better single core performance, which is needed to model on skp, and keep the same gpu if you don’t want to invest on a better one.

1 Like

Thanks a lot. I will consider :+1:

Sorry. One more question. How about this guy? Asus S501MD-51240F0260 (Ci5-12400F 4.4Ghz/16GB/SSD512/ARC A380 6GB/WiFi/S501MD)

CPU is faster than the one in my a couple years old desktop. Reviews for the Intel discrete graphics card most quote problems with drivers. I would probably stick with Nvidia.

1 Like

The processor uses Turbo Boost technology. What do you think of it?

Almost all Intel processors do. It helps single threaded applications like SketchUp by selectively overclocking one processor core when others are sitting idle.

Off topic

Sound like marketing BS, ("marketing " name). Only the term “bio” or “green” is missing now… :slight_smile:

2 Likes