Normal behavior?

Is this normal behavior? I thought faces had to have lines surrounding them? My Sketchup file is acting strange in that I cannot seem to add a circle where I want it no matter what I do.

I need to add a larger circle around the hole, so I can create a recess where a screw would be nestled. The other side should have a bezel raising the surface up. On some holes it’s quite simple, on others it isn’t… Why?

I’ve tried drawing around and through it to lock it onto the face, I’ve tried intersect faces, I’m not entirely sure why this is happening as I’ve never had this issue before.

Thanks for the help to anyone who can.

TestUpload.skp (2.2 MB)

To elaborate, I have a hole, and when I draw a circle from the center outward the circle isn’t attached to the surface/face… This is fine, but nothing I do seems to attach that circle properly. Out of curiosity I drew a couple lines through the circle into the outer circle (the unattached one)… that is where the odd visual captured in that picture came from.

is the main body of this model supposed to be of uniform thickness? It isn’t.

It is the same depth throughout. Take a look at the sketch I provided…

I did. I increased the precision and the thickness varies.

1 Like

I see. Very good observation there. You’re right. A inlays were depressed intentionally (0.5-1mms) for tactile and one spot where a headphone potentiometer goes, but the other variance was unintentional (originally this was my first model but I returned to it recently and that is when I discovered this issue). Thank you.

Tactile switches that is.

But did you notice the oddities where lines seem to cut the model face into segments, except those lines are not visible? I didn’t originally realize the variance and I suppose that explains why a flat circle wouldn’t adhere (I knew there had to be a simple explanation), much thanks for spotting that. I originally made the model with it set to very high precision and adjusted it afterwards (big mistake, but I was ignorant).

yes make the faces parallel and the penetrations will form faces correctly. You should probably scale up with the dave method as well.

1 Like

I realize what to do now, and I’m very grateful for your keen eye. I suppose the topic could be closed. You were very helpful to me, but I’m still not entirely sure why the lines aren’t visible that seem to cut the model up

Did you try turning on Hidden Geometry?

1 Like

Interesting… I feel like a fool now. But why are they hidden?

Apparently no bugs are present in this at all. It’s funny how often people point the blame when the problem is but their own error. What would flag a line to be hidden geometry in this case out of curiosity? Does it correlate to the hidden lines segments that would connect between two parallel circles forming a hollow tube? The hidden lines were created as I drew a line through a level circle and onto the not so level model (I believe).

1 Like

My suspicions were confirmed; Deforming geometry causes hidden lines to branch off from pillars, where if it had been a rectangle the lines would have been visible. I think it has to do with using auto-segmented structures, like arcs and circles. The hidden lines that bind them to another face are branched onto another point.

They’re probably just another neat little feature to tidy up the workspace/reduce unnecessary lines. In this case though it would have been better had the additional line segments not been spawned flagged as hidden. Perhaps this part was in fact… er was a small bug found perhaps? In any case I think you’ve all been very helpful, and my issue has been completely resolved (and the model is now tidied up proper)-- thanks everyone.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.