Noob - Floor Plan Drawing

See my original reply to your question.

can I see some detailed floor plans? Also some links on drawing up detailed floor plans?

Try this link.

Thanks for the google link but really would have been more helpful if you had’ve given me some examples, I know about google aready. Google can show me 100 vids not really on point but I don’t have that time to waste right now, but thanks.

Seriously? You asked for examples. I gave you more examples with more variety than any one user could provide you individually. And after asking for examples, it’s a waste of your time to look at them?

the link brought up google with the keywords, I probably needed to watch more… it’s was like a vid. I’ll check again.

Something funky in your browser…clicking the link brought me to this (with a lot more scrolled off the bottom)

yeah nothing like that

Must be a problem with your browser. Steve shows the page I linked to.

What’s your browser ?
That link works fine for me on PC - with Firefox, Edge, Internet-Explorer, Chrome and Avast-SafeZOne

I’m using safari on macOS Sierra and also had no problem.

Yeah ok, worked now. Don’t know why it came up with a Google video? I’m seeing some good designs. How do I create walls to a certain width? Do I use smaller rectangles inside to create rooms? And can I adjust dimensions after a shape is set?

When you start up SketchUp, you can choose a ‘style’. There are a number of ‘engineering’ and ‘architectural’ styles that do not show a colored ‘floor’. You can also go to Preferences to change the style that you are currently using, I think

No, you open the Styles window and either edit the style you are using or select a different style. If you edit, don’t forget to update the style or the changes won’t stick.

If you get a style set the way you like and want all new models to start that way, create a new blank model with that style selected and then do Save As Template…, and when you see the button choose to make this new template your default.

Caveat: I am not an engineer or architect. I did work as a teaching assistant for an engineering course at my local university, in which I taught the students about SketchUp. For this purpose, I created a wiki site with videos showing how do to a number of things related to drawing a building design.

http://et365.pbworks.com/ is the wiki site. You might also want to look at the “links” page of this site for additional stuff.

This is a page starting a series of tutorials on drawing a Tiny House. I use what may be an odd workflow for making the house, but you might learn a few things here.

You might also want to see this page on using layers to organize your model.