New Travel Laptop (Read Mini)

I am using sketchup Pro V2019 an am looking for a mini laptop 13" running Windows 10 so that I can occasionally do Sketchup modelling while travelling.

I do not have space for a larger laptop.

I notice that the new mini laptops have Radeon graphics cards.

Are there any users that use Sketchup on such a PC

I have an older laptop with an NVIDIA card.

Open GL support is very important for SketchUp functionality.

Recommend NIVIDA over AMD in this case (apparently better with Open GL).

Do not buy an NVIDIA Optimus laptop (power setting system for the GPU) - hobbles the NVIDIA GPU to some extent.

A fast CPU is valuable - 3GHz+.

I have used Gigabyte P34g models v4, 5, 6 [18kg]

and now these are superseded by there Aero 14 range… and would suggest looking at them…

I currently use a P35x v6 withGTX1070 graphics and 15.6" screen [2.3 kg]

I travel and live present heavy 3d models in SU or Twinmotion a lot and found .these notebooks great balance of power and weight.

Next purchase I will return to 14" and GTX 2060 as the size and weight of the 15.6" model is tiring when traveling.

PS, never noticed any issues with Nvidea Optimus… you can always turn it off anyway.

Windows 10 is the biggest pain with constant updates and bugs…

As far as I know, there is no off switch for it on my Acer Aspire - the Intel GPU is hard wired to operate the internal screen unfortunately.
I talked to NVIDIA about it and they didn’t offer any solutions. Also, the bios has no setting for disabling the Intel GPU.

using optimus

I leave it on auto select - NVIDIA GPU for global setting only ends up causing delays.

The Physx setting on my device shows the issue -

Changing to NVIDIA does not work.

Strange, mine shows both monitors linked to GTX GPU PhysicsX …

. I would not thought it possible for the Intel GPU to use physicsX.

have you tried unistalling Physics X?

PS… I have just had 3 days or W10 crashes and ended up tracing down one problem being the Intel GPU being set on high performance… … might be worth checking

My NVIDIA GPU operates apps but not monitors.

I don’t remember the last time I uninstalled PhysX, I will give it a try out of interest.

Uninstalling PhysX does nothing - NVIDIA control panels still look exactly the same.

As for the OP, my advice should be balanced with the experiences of @gsharp - for cheaper laptops beware of the Optimus versions whereas more expensive ones doesn’t seem to be an issue.

Thanks for the input. I will be using the laptop as a travel laptop only. Just need Sketchup to work. Not be the fastest to render. If that makes sense

look for a notebook with a preferrably high-clocked intel CPU and a dedicated nVidia GeForce MX150 GPU, e.g. the concerning models of the following series:

• HP Envy 13
  • Dell XPS 13
  • Lenovo Ideapad 320S
  • Asus Zenbook 13
  • Huawei Matebook X
  • Xiaomi Mi Air