New Computer! New Computer!

I’ll add a little fuel to the bicker collection :wink:

Because of the increasing security risks, I set up a second windows account about a year ago without administration rights to use that as my primary work account to reduce the risk of attacks such as the “locker” breed malwares, especially since the tale of a high tech user who accidentally clicked a phishing link and lost everything

Even before that, dating back to Win7, windows would appear to have no problem with you creating directories and storing files in places we were all used to using such as storage folders off of the drive root, but on too many occasions, those files and directories would disappear without warning thanks to windows rather than malware.

I can also confirm that keeping and maintaining files in “secure” directories such as “program…” creates a raft of user problems, especially when using a non-admin account. The thing that makes this insidious is that windows allows the creating and even accessing these files for a short while, then they vanish sometime later.

With win8.x and now win10, I have found that using the “public” user area as the base location for non sensitive, and regularly backed up files has worked best for me …not necessarily you.

Essentially, I now treat “c:\users\Public” as the hard drive root. Files may be more vulnerable there even with guest login disabled, but even trying to keep files in the non-admin user area ended up creating problems, especially when switching between accounts.

It’s also possible to create shared, but “read only” folders elsewhere for non admin users that would allow access, but prevent them from being attacked by malware coming through the non admin accounts… i.e. create and install static files using the admin account to these locations.

Posting this just for information in case it might be of value to others,
Beverly Howard

2 Likes

So I upgraded the GPU to an nVidia GTX 1070 monstrousity…

8GM of onboard RAM. It’s huge.