New Add Location Tool in PlaceMaker 1.1 Released

Just wanted to announce to the community that we have just released PlaceMaker 1.1 which includes our new geo-location tool that is completely independent of SketchUp’s Add Location Tool.

This means that:

• SketchUp 2016 users can geo-locate their models with PlaceMaker, even after the May 22 change
  • SketchUp Make user can geo-locate their models with PlaceMaker (for non-Commercial use of course)

The tool uses DigitalGlobe imagery and imports a low resolution ‘snap-shot’ similar to how SketchUp’s Add Location tool works. Sorry, terrain import is not available with this tool.

The tool is available for free as part of a PlaceMaker Trial license. In order to import high resolution imagery over a large area, a full license for PlaceMaker is required.

You can order a free trial at:

3 Likes

As far as i understand OpenStreetMap, data you import (buildings, trees etc.) highly depends on what is available (stuff people added) in that area, am i correct?

For example, if i grab a small city which is not well-known, is it likely that i’ll face an almost empty data/map?

I would consider this as a replacement for the sad new imagery in Sketchup’s Add Location tool, but without a trial of the high resolution imagery, I’m not willing to take the plunge. I noticed the trial only includes the same sad Digital Globe low resolution imagery. Do you at least have some examples of the quality of the high resolution imagery?

[quote=“Bryceosaurus, post:129, topic:40953”]As DerekEdison mentioned, PlaceMaker delivers the same DigitalGlobe imagery as SketchUp Pro but they have a monthly quota of 250 tiles per user. A tile is a 1280x1280 pixel image at some zoom level.
[/quote]

The imagery source that you get with the full version is the same as the trial. But the difference is that you can apply max resolution or highest zoom over an unlimited size area.

So if you want to know the quality of the imagery available, just view the imagery using the max zoom level inside our add location tool.

Even in small not well-known cities, you will get the detailed road network and high resolution imagery. Buildings can be less common but, in Europe, it is surprising how many small cities have basic building footprint information.

With the high-resolution imagery as a reference, creating the building massings can be a relatively quick process.

It is best to use our free trial to preview the quality of the OSM data in your area of interest. In almost all cases, importing the data can save you a ton of valuable time.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.