Geo Locating

Need some help if possible.

I’ve bought the location into my Sketchup drawing from Google Earth but the image imported is blurry and virtually impossible to draw outlines of existing buildings.

How do you get a clearer image, I’ve followed the procedure as detailed in the Sketchup tutorials.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks Linsay

How did you go about getting the image from Google Earth into SketchUp?

SketchUp hasn’t used Google Earth for location imagery for maybe 8 or 10 years and stopped using Google Maps images a few years ago. Imagery has come from Digital Globe. If you are using that and not getting images that are as sharp as you want, you should look into PlaceMaker 2.

You normally would use File/Geo-location/Add Location, and not involve Google Earth.

What is the quality like if you do it that way? Also, what location are you getting, so we can see how good or bad it is?

Thanks for your reply Colin, the steps you have outlined is what I did, only used Google Earth to obtain the Latitude & Longitude which I copied into Sketchup “Add Location” except it wouldn’t accept this entry but worked when I entered the site address ie: 7 James Avenue, Highett, Victoria, Australia. I selected region adjusted view and grabbed view which entered it into my Sketchup drawing but a blurry illegible copy. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Thanks for your reply Dave, not aware of PlaceMaker 2 could you advise where to obtain. Below is the copy I replied to Colin with:

Thanks for your reply Colin, the steps you have outlined is what I did, only used Google Earth to obtain the Latitude & Longitude which I copied into Sketchup “Add Location” except it wouldn’t accept this entry but worked when I entered the site address ie: 7 James Avenue, Highett, Victoria, Australia. I selected region adjusted view and grabbed view which entered it into my Sketchup drawing but a blurry illegible copy. Any suggestions? Thanks.

PlaceMaker is available here: https://www.suplacemaker.com/

Placemaker, that Dave mentioned, is fairly expensive:

https://www.suplacemaker.com

I’m not sure of the copyright side of things, but a screenshot from maps.google.com looks pretty good. If you’re just going to trace the outline, and not use the image, I suppose that should be ok!

Google does have strict limitations on usage of their imagery which is why SketchUp had to stop using Google Maps for Geo Location. Digital Globe’s hi res imagery doesn’t come for free like Google’s used to. The hi res imagery is available at a cost. If you need the hi res stuff, you just have to count it as part of the cost of doing business.

If you plan to use imagery from Google, I would advise you to read their terms of usage first.

Thanks both for replies, your right Colin the image from google maps is far better than the image I receive when adding location through Sketchup. The image is Digital Globe’s, not satisfactory. Can the image from Google maps be imported? I guess I may have to pay $'s if want higher resolution imagery :thinking:

As I wrote, Google has tight restrictions on the use of their imagery and other data from Google Earth and Google Maps. You should read their terms before you use their imagery.