Need help: creating a door handle that is curved in two directions, and has a thick border

Hi there,

I’m trying to create a 3D model of a door handle, to replace it. The part of this door handle where you grab it, is curved in two directions, and has a thick border. I’ve been trying to create this shape in SketchUp Pro, but I cannot get it done.

This is the door handle from the front:

And from the side:

And this is what I’ve got so far:

I’ve tried to create this shape by creating a line in the shape that I want, and then use the follow-me tool to create the border. But then I cannot fill the shape to create the inside.

I’ve also tried to substract the parts I don’t want from the model, but then it gets cut of in one directen, not rounded:
h t t p s : / / postimg.cc/nCZ3FyhK
(sorry, can only post two links).

Does anyone have tips on how to create a shape like this?

Many thanks in advance!

Albrecht

I would create the border with follow-me and the fill with push-pull. after that you could use outer shell to make it a solid, I’m guessing you want to 3D print this…

Thanks for your reply! Indeed I want to 3D print this model.

Can you elaborate on how you would fill using push-pull? Because I tried a few ways:

• Create the border first, but then I end up with only a border, no fill, so there’s nothing to push-pull.
  • Create a plane first: then I cannot push-pull, because of the curved shape.

Thanks!

The fill seems to be curved in one direction only. So all you have to do is draw the profile of the curve and pushpull that.