Native cutting tool

Hello guys, I must be really inexperienced or just overwhelmed that I can’t seem to find the native cutting tool in my SU-M2017 menus. Is it there and I’m not seeing it or…?

Thanks.

0 Likes

What “native cutting tool” are you referring to?

0 Likes

There is no native cutting tool.
What do you want to do?
You can select part of the geometry and make it a group and it will separate from the rest.

0 Likes

The native section cut tool that’s mentioned in (see attached screenshot)…

0 Likes

That would be the native Section cut tool. Not the native cut tool. Which means you need to use a section plane.

0 Likes

And there it is in your screen shot.

0 Likes

I’m guessing there is a bit of a language issue between many of us here and Abuja. We are happy to point you in the right direction but it helps, when you can’t be specific, to give a much more generous overview of what you need so we can interpret better.

0 Likes

Thanks for correcting me. How do I use the section plane?

0 Likes

Start here:
https://help.sketchup.com/en/sketchup/slicing-model-peer-inside

0 Likes

Thanks again.

0 Likes

Ok…I now have a better understanding of the section plane. I also understand that what I’m actually looking for is a “cutting” or “knife” tool, for cutting user-created objects, kind of like the way its done in CorelDraw. I don’t know if there’s such a thing in SketchUp.

0 Likes

Draw a rectangle that cuts through the shape where you want it. Then intersect it with the shape using Intersect Faces. Erase the stuff you don’t want.

0 Likes

Wow, thanks a lot, this really helps.
:+1:t5:

0 Likes

Making “intersect faces” a shortcut can help too.
shortcuts

Intersect faces “with model” = Intersects your selection with the model
Intersect faces “with selection” = Intersects your selection with itself
Intersect faces “with context” = Intersects faces with the group/component you’re editing

0 Likes