Model Info > Geo Location > Fine imagery for large zone

Hello !

I would like to start a design on an area of about 150 Ha. As I start my design I want to locate it and add imagery from google earth.

Then I go to Model Info > Geo Location > Add Location. But there, if I zoom in to get a fine satellite imagery, I can’t get the whole needed area. Would you know how I can do to get fine imagery for the whole area ? Any tricks ? Plugins ?

Thank you very much for your help !

Best regards,

Baptiste

you need to systematically ‘Add Detail’ by using the + button and step across/down with the arrow keys…

once you have the high detail ones you can delete the original and trim the rest…

each will have a ‘border’ of bad geometry which you need to take into account when grabbing…

you can use a plugin to trim that off…

john

Hi John,

Thank you for your help.

I am not sure I understand perfectly your tip. : I don’t find the ‘Add detail’, then when I should hit the + button, and when I should use the arrow keys…
And I don’t understand what you mean by the border of bad geometry…

Could you explain it again ? Sorry for that …

Baptiste

after adding a Location, the button tooltip changes to ‘Add More Imagery’ [not Add Detail, sorry]…

before selecting the area, you can zoom in or out with +/-, if you start a small move, you can use the arrow keys to navigate a set amount…

i.e. first selection 12 clicks left, 12 clicks down
then for the next one, 24 clicks left, 12 clicks down

the number of clicks will depend on your import, so it can take a couple of goes to find the best overlap…

to be honest it was easier when it had the direction toolbar, but arrow keys still work ok…

there are some good threads on SketchUcation add trimming locations…

john

Ok I got it ! Thank you very much for the details and the step by step.

I was hoping for a miraculous plugin that would ask for the needed area and grab all this area at the finest resolution… But I did not find yet. I will do as you say then !

Thank you very much again, and anybody reading this thread, if you hear about such a (much needed) project, please say it below !

Best regards,

Baptiste