Mirror (kind of) plugin?

Copy and Paste in place were used in my video clips of the chair parts when I used Scale. I did do it in a different order though. I used keyboard shortcuts instead of the menu items.

1 Like

True but I guess TIG was trying to make his extension cope even with things off axis. Three clicks allow you to define a plane rather than a line. Mostly, I find a line is enough so you select two axes and then hit Enter. But having to hit enter is much the same as a third click so it’s swings and roundabouts.

I’m more in favour of the native tools now though. I’ve come round!

Since Mac allows only one line for the toolbar, I always tried not installing to much extensions, my own OCD CDP

(obsessive compulsive disorder, clean desk policy)

That is something that always worries me, especially as you often find that there are only two or three extensions that you use regularly. The rest were probably installed to cope with a problem at the time but irregular use means you forget how to use them (or even that they are there!).

The native tools are very powerful and manage to do pretty much everything most of us need, even if they sometimes involve workarounds or additional steps. I wish I knew how to code so that I could tweak them in the way some people seem to be able to do.

1 Like

Any mirror tool needs you to somehow set the mirror plane (at least one step, and in case of an odd plane even two or three steps). Sketchup’s way to do so can be to use the ‘Axes’ tool to temporarily set up new drawing axes as a mirror plane, then applying ‘Flip Along’ in the next step. All native tools.

1 Like

The best way to mirror something is the way that works for you.

2 Likes

A while back, some kind soul (whose name shall be protected) tweaked the Move command for me to create a dedicated Copy command that ex-Autocad users like me miss so much. I have made a shortcut and use it all the time. If I had his coding skills, I would add the Ctrl key modifier to the Scale tool so as to be able to mirror and copy in one go. Thus recreating another standard CAD command that I miss.