Minimum 20 characters

Disable the minimum 20 characters forum rule!

(and 15 characters for titles!)

2 Likes

+1
-:/;()$&@",?!'%^Ā£
:smile:

Can you elaborate to why youā€™d want this limit removed?
Itā€™s a design thatā€™s been deliberately implemented by Discourse to encourage more meaningful titles and posts. The Like button takes upon the role for the ā€œ+1ā€ comment. (nudge Jeff :wink: )

1 Like

heh, to be honest, the only time iā€™ve been bit by it was when trying to make a joke post so discourseā€™s implementation has probably done itā€™s job regarding encouraging more meaningful postsā€¦ (or- discouraging silly postsā€¦ which can be viewed as a good thingā€¦ could also be view as discouraging community spirit(?) by not allowing the oneliners to happenā€¦ that said, the ratio of ā€˜goodā€™ sub20 post to bad ones is pretty slim so i guess itā€™s fine to make a sweeping ruleā€¦ really though, i donā€™t care either wayā€¦
fwiw, my +1 comment above was meant as one example of why (i imagine) the rule is in place.

Because Iā€™m not able to write in english fast enough and sometimes questions are simple enough to be answered with a single ā€œYes.ā€ or ā€œNo.ā€

Example: Google Sketchup 8 still free for commercial use? - #2 by Cotty

A ā€œYes, you can.ā€ would have been enough answer for me.

Another example: An important option to a shortcut key is missing - #2 by Geo

Perhaps at a certain badge level the restriction could be lifted as by then itā€™s been established that the poster doesnā€™t need to be forced to say more than is necessary and understands how best to word a thread title.
Carsten is one of only 8 members with his badge so itā€™s a fairly exclusive group.