Medeek Wall

Version 1.9.5 - 03.07.2021

• Added an option for “Geometry Guides” at the start and end of all wall types.
  • Added the “Start / End Marker” parameter to the General tab of the Global Settings.

The reason for this “Geometric Guide” feature is to help people understand how wall corners connect to each other (or don’t connect). You can turn this on in the global settings and it will help you understand how to connect your wall panels at the ends/corners. I’ve had a lot of questions on wall corners lately so I hope this will help answer some of those questions.

P.S.
The green circle is always created at the “start” of the wall panel and the red circle is always created at the “end” of the wall panel. Notice that they are of different diameters so that when they overlay on top of each other it is obvious that they are concentric and therefore the walls are connected.

P.P.S.
Kind of like training wheels. They will help you orient your wall panels correctly and since they are created on a special layer/tag you can easily toggle them off (visibility) when you don’t want to show them in a specific scene.

5 Likes

Thank you, very helpful …

1 Like

A minor fix but I think it might prove useful to quite a few people. I’m going to move the wall symbols (ie. doors, windows, in-wall columns etc…) to a new built-in layer/tag called “wall_symbol”. Currently the symbols are placed on the “wall_dim” layer, however this is problematic if you want to turn off the door/window callouts but leave the symbols visible.

3 Likes

Version 1.9.6 - 03.09.2021

• Added a layer for “symbols” to the miscellaneous layer/tag options (Layer tab of the Global Settings).
  • Fixed a minor bug in the shed wall edit menu.

This update moves the symbols for windows, doors, garage doors, shearwalls, in-wall columns and holdowns to the “wall_symbol” layer/tag.

I’m always curious as to how people are actually using the plugins and to be honest I take a lot of phone calls and emails every day but rarely do I get to see the end result. Mostly I deal with small issues and customers who are still getting oriented with the plugins or who are having a bit of trouble with the learning curve.

To encourage some (visual) feedback I am going to hold a special drawing. Who ever wins the drawing will get a two year extension on all of their plugin licenses (Wall, Truss, Foundation and Electrical - approx. a $300.00 value). To have your name/business entered into the hat you only need to have a licensed copy of one of the plugins and submit one post on the SketchUp forum (with picture or pictures) showing a project you created with any one of the plugins (it doesn’t have to be all of the plugins and it doesn’t have to be a whole house design). To increase the odds of you winning and to provide more incentive for participation, I will draw three times, so there will be a total of three winners. I will hold the drawings at 10:00 PM MST on Mar. 24th, so you have basically two weeks to make a submission. I will post the winners of the drawing on my own forum board at design.medeek.com.

Note that educational licenses and trial licenses do not qualify for the drawing. If your extension(s) license has expired that will not matter, I will add the two years to the Mar. 24th drawing date. If you recently purchased the extensions then you will get two years added to your exp. update date.

Posting a drawing like this is hopefully not a violation of any forum rules. My primary intent is to be able to view some interesting projects created with the plugins and SketchUp. I am now more firmly convinced than ever that SketchUp is the way forward and the future of residential architectural design.

P.S.
If you post your project on the SketchUp forum please post in the appropriate category. You can also post on my website forum as well here: Owner-Builder Projects

Hi Nathaniel - great idea!
I’m just wondering if my post from last week counts, or if I should submit something else?

1 Like

Your post is actually what gave me the idea. You have gone way above and beyond, so yeah, your post counts.

P.S.
So far there is only one name in the hat…

A suggestion: since it seems there might not be a bunch of contest-ready projects submitted right out of the gate, how about spacing the three draws over the next six weeks? (with one draw every two weeks)

That would give more people time to prepare and submit their entires, in order to accomplish your goal of gathering a variety of examples of completed projects using a Medeek BIM workflow.

(and I would vote to simply award @bslarch the first one for the elevated quality of his Medeek-generated model and the resulting animation!)

2 Likes

Good idea. First Drawing on March 24, Second Drawing on April 7, Third Drawing on April 21.

You can only be entered into one drawing. The March 24th drawing will probably have the fewest number of entries which will thereby increase your odds.

It is really not a contest. I am not judging anyone on the quality or effort they imparted into their project. I’m mostly just wanting to see what everyone is actually doing with the plugins, how they are being utilized. Even a small outbuilding or shed qualifies.

1 Like

Ok I want in on your deal Nathanial! As you know I too have been working with your extensions for some time and I actually hired Mat for some freelance work to wrap a number of things up on this model and provide a full set of construction drawings etc. Mat has done a great job so far, I am very impressed, he is very talented. When I was looking for a skill set one of the requirements was someone who had experience with the Medeek Suite. So here is my actual home, the 3rd one in the last 10 years I have designed and actually build using Sketchup, this time primarily using the Medeek BIM Suite.

Thanks again for your great extensions, I look forward to seeing your continued efforts.
Lacee

2 Likes

Impressive work, let me know which drawing you want to be entered into. In fact, I am requesting that of everyone who posts their projects and would like to be entered into the drawing, be sure to specify which drawing you want to be entered into (1,2 or 3).

Love the double garage on this design, I sure could do with a bigger garage like that. I also really love the use of the two octagon windows at the rear of the house, kind of a nice flair.

Nathaniel,

Thanks for the kind words. Your extensions have been most useful. I will soon start on the electrical portion of the design where I of course intend to use the Medeek Electrical extension.

As for picking one drawing, it is all the same drawing, just different views of the same drawing!

Again thanks for all your great products and continued improvements,

Lacee

1 Like

Version 1.9.7 - 03.12.2021

• Fixed a bug involving gable, shed and hips walls that are created adjacent to rectangular walls.
  • Fixed a minor bug involving regeneration of dissimilar wall types at the same type.

@EosDawn

Nathanial,
As mentioned they are all the same drawing, however if one must choose one of the views then I will submit the following view for consideration. I am personally very interested in seeing what and how others utilizing the Medeek extensions.

Nathanial,
I am also very personally very interested in the development of the BIM so that material take offs and estimating can be accomplished much easier and more precise. That would be worth real $ to me…

Thanks again, keep up the good work,
Lacee

1 Like

Hi Lacey- there seems to be some confusion - Nathanial is speaking to your SU drawing, he’s speaking to the the three events dates :

1 Like

fxcutting… Thank you for the clarification, i obviously missed it. I will then select the 2nd date / round.

Thanks,
Lacee

1 Like

Nathanial,
Please consider my entry for the 2nd round of your contest…
Thanks again.
Lacee

1 Like

Roger that, sorry for the confusion. I just caught up on the thread now.

Version 1.9.8 - 03.13.2021

• Added an extra (Trim Top Plate) parameter to the “Start” and “End” configurations of rectangular walls.

**** CAUTION ****
This update adds two new parameters to the rectangular walls and will require the user to delete and recreate any rectangular wall presets. This upgrade does not affect gable wall or any other presets (ie. windows, door, garage, gable wall, shed wall, hip wall).

This parameter (for the start and end of the wall) should normally be assigned to a value of “YES”, this is also its default behavior. However, in certain cases (such as a corner with a shed or gable wall) it may be useful to configure its value as “NO”, as shown in the image above.