Medeek Project

Yes, and the block could always be exploded and the info arranged the way people want it. But at least after going through the trouble to install the data, it could be transferred to the construction drawings. It could be a scene of its own and then referenced in Layout. I think your work on these extensions are the best in the SketchUp realm.

This was just the first cover sheet I came across. On certain projects, we are required to put this info on the cover sheet.

1 Like

First look at the EOR tab:

First look at the AOR tab:

1 Like

Here is an example of a portion of my old title block from some structural drawings done a few years back. Note that I am missing my email address, but pretty much all of the usual info is present:

I would like to create a simple title block generator (similar to my electrical legend in the Electrical plugin).

I think I will start with just the architect/designer information like above and then elaborate or fine tune it later if requested by the user(s).

This tool will require a few more global settings like font and font size.

Any thoughts on what direction I should go with this?

1 Like

I donā€™t understand why all this information is being added as linework in SketchUp. Iā€™d like to though.

1 Like

Are you suggesting that it should be added to Layout instead?

1 Like

I mean I think so.
In Layout, the block of info would be glued in place relative to the model on the page, and it would grow and shrink as you changed the scale of the viewport. You want to be able to move and change the size of the model and text independently. And imagine if you have to edit or simply move the infoā€¦

1. Go to SketchUp
  2. Open the global settings.
  3. Edit info, save
  4. Move/Adjust text as necessary
  5. Update Scene
  6. Save SketchUp Model
  7. Go back to Layout
  8. Resync Layout
  9. Adjust your viewport as necessary.
  10. Done

Or, if the Project info was somehow set up as auto text linked to the SketchUp file.

1. Go to SketchUp
  2. Open the global settings.
  3. Edit info, save
  4. Save SketchUp Model
  5. Resync Layout
  6. Move/Adjust text as necessary
  7. Done

But if it is drawn and written on the layout cover page as a title blockā€¦

1. Open Text for editing
  2. Move/Adjust text as necessary
  3. Done

I think that all the work adding this info to a SketchUp Model will add a lot more work when itā€™s time to go to Layout.

2 Likes

Initially the EOR information was intended for the engineering and site criteria reports (PDF generated) so a title block was not really the original purpose for this information. However, since I already have the information stored in the file (root attribute library) then it makes sense to somehow use this info to create title block etcā€¦ Hence I also added the AOR information as well.

Perhaps Layout is really the place for title blocks to be drawn/stored, however if one wants a quick and dirty title block shown in SketchUp (plan view), this might be the simple tool for it.

I donā€™t know Iā€™m still feeling this one out a bit.

3 Likes

Like something to stamp a quick screenshot or export with instead of having to go to layout. That would be cool!

2 Likes

That is my thinking with a simple title block, but remember I also have the client information so I could also provide that as well as the designer/architect information. Just trying to figure out what this should show, but I do agree that final construction documents will probably be generated in Layout with a pre-constructed title block that may or may not pull any of the project info from the model.

Maybe separate the different types of info, and have a checkbox that says something like

Include in Title Block

2 Likes

It really needs to be a full fledged tool that creates a title block that is parametric with an HTML edit menu.

I think I figured out what to do, this should be interesting.

The main toolbar will now include one extra icon for the ā€œDraw Title Blockā€ tool:

project_su_menu_active

2 Likes

First look at the Title Block tool in action:

Note that these title blocks are being drawn in SketchUp not Layout so they may only have limited utility but I think they still may be useful for those wanting to quickly throw together something for presentation purpose.

The Customer, Architect/Designer and Engineers data is pulled as the default but all of this information can be customized completely.

I call this title block a ā€œno frillsā€ title block, just a functional element that is simply meant to convey the most basic information.

2 Likes

Version 1.0.3 - 01.26.2023

• Added the EOR tab to the Project Information tool.
  • Added the AOR tab to the Project Information tool.
  • Added the Title Block Tool to the main toolbar.
  • Added a parametric Title Block tool.

Let me know what you all think of this feature. Again I donā€™t believe this should replace a proper Title Block in Layout but it will offer a quick and dirty solution in SketchUp for those who donā€™t need or want to go into Layout.

I should probably also put out a short tutorial video on this feature and how it integrates with the Project Information data.

P.S.
There are probably other things I can do with the Title Block tool (such as add an option for rounded corners) but I donā€™t suspect it will be used a whole lot, so I wonā€™t spend much more time on it unless it gets a lot of traction and the user base demands more options and features.

1 Like

Tutorial 2 - Title Blocks (16:33 min.)

With regards to the layer control and its sliders it was suggested that tick marks would make the sliders more intuitive and easier to use. I donā€™t disagree however I am finding it quite difficult to find a cross browser implementation of tick marks in a range slider that actually works reliably.

First look at the Seismic tab of the Project Info tool:

I wish my KML overlay was a little more transparent but it seems to work for now.

I just need to implement the code that connects to the USGS API which pulls all of this seismic data from their database.

Looks like I have it successfully connecting now:

Honestly, a little bit off the beaten path with this latest series of developments since I am not dealing with your typical SU geometry here, but this goes to show that with the full Ruby backend and a built-in HTML browser just about anything is possible with the SketchUp API.

1 Like

Is it all synched to the geolocation?

1 Like

Correct, the seismic data is based on the three site parameters at the top and the lat. and long.

1 Like