Looking For one of these

Me try…

Thanks for the help, Box! Interestingly, it’s bigger than the last one! I deleted some of the geometry too.

It’s bigger due to the image file, but less heavy in geometry.

1 Like

MUST…
*gkgh
COMPROMISE…
*gkgh *gkgh
SOMEWHERE!!

Actually, it’s probably not so bad. Will the texture make a model run slower?

Try it for yourself, add a few hundred copies of each into a model and see what happens.

1 Like

Made 400.
Sketchup don’t like it 0.o… Not texture, fewer polygons,

Turn off Profiles.

1 Like

Hmmm… no noticeable lag.

Yaaaayyy!
Thanks, everyone!
Building a sloped addition. Wanted some special joist hangers! Drew 'em! Thanks for the help!

bandicam 2022-02-17 00-09-42-606

3 Likes

Attached is a SKP file for the hanger referenced in this thread. This model was converted from the .SAT file downloaded from the Stimpson Strong-Tie site. If you need other products from Simpson let me know and I will provide them.
LSSR210Z.skp (652.2 KB)

1 Like

The converted file you attached is a poor model for Sketchup use. It is over large and all the faces are fractured and somehow disconnected from each other.
A quick cleanup makes it far more usable at less than 1/3 the size and with workable geometry.

It should be noted that the two flanges are different (increasing the file size), which appears to be the case with the real product, but these are not different in the same way, so it is unclear what would be accurate.
LSSR201Z Box.skp (205.7 KB)

2 Likes

I have not opened it yet, and so I’m glad you tidied it up before I had to mess with it myself! Thanks @Box

I think you are better off with your lowpoly one.

1 Like

Duly noted-

If you are only using it as a part of a model it should be as basic as it needs to be to show what it is. If you want a close up for specific detailing then it should be modeled accurately, more accurately that the one that was uploaded.
The angled slots that you have in yours are actually strengthening not holes. The uploaded version doesn’t even represent them in any way.
So for an accurate model those dents should be included and the asymmetry of the two flanges should be correct.
As always, the end use tells you what you need to model.

1 Like

The dents add strength? Interesting.

Yea, I don’t need it as detailed as the real thing. I’d just like to recognize is apart from the others.

Yes the dents have a name that escapes me at the moment. This is an example of some I made earlier.

A little light reading, specifically point 3. Just a random google grab.

The model was likely created with parametric software such as Inventor which when converted has faces for all geometry. The model is created for manufacturing which requires the higher level of detail than needed for use in a system model. I have several joist hangers in my deck rebuild model that have been modified to reduce file size as you did.