Live Modeling with Tyson - The Sydney Opera House

It’s finally happening, Tyson will attempt the Sydney Opera House!

Stop on by YouTube to check it out 2021-07-30T18:00:00Z

It’s over on the SketchUp YouTube Channel

2 Likes

Bravo Tyson, I hope Aaron is suitably humbled!

Yay, well done Tyson. No pressure buddy, only going to be loads of people watching your every move :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

What? Me? I thought Jody was taking this one, it’s waaayyy past his turn.

1 Like

Have fun with this Tyson. Wish I could join in. Remember to use components. :wink:

Uhmm, what happened to the stream?

It didn’t appear to be live so we started over… but now its all good.

1 Like

The roof forms are spherical

1 Like

Holy ■■■■! I totally forgot components!

wait…

what are these… “components” you speak of? Sounds totally overrated.

1 Like

Ha ha! You just wait, mister!

:crazy_face:

Bravo Tyson for a brilliant job!
I promised Jody that I’d post some images of the roof structure and interior of the opera theatre. One of them shows the narrow distance between the outer and inner (acoustic) skin, that technicians need to climb down between in order to focus the stage lighting!

2 Likes

Are the drawings Tyson used posted anywhere?

Thanks for posting these Philip, that last image of the ‘crawl’ space is definitely interesting. So amazing to hear you worked for many years at Arup!

@ksnelson1 Which drawings? I found all the images online, but the one that I found most useful was this one:

That’s the one! Thanks.

BTW, with the best and kindest of intent, if you could call out what you are doing in a little more depth and more often, it would be helpful. I find your videos to be very insightful particularly how you approach a problem. There are just a few too many mouse clicks or picks, or keystrokes, or commands executed that you haven’t called out that make it more difficult for us mortals.

Of course, I completely take the feedback as valid. As much as I won’t ever get it perfect, please comment frequently in real time and ask questions during the sessions. I know the feedback loop through our moderators is a bit delayed, but it’s fairly easy to step back a minute and re-show or emphasize anything that is needed.

Thanks much for joining us!

Will do!

As an example, when you imported this image, was it an image or a texture? And how/when did you get the option for “projection?” I seem to have tried it both ways but not successfully yet, so I know I am doing something wrong. I do believe I have a workaround in that I could draw 3 lines straight down from the circles on the image onto the dome and use those 3 points to establish a rectangle/plane like projection does.

I am going to watch the video again now.

Thanks for your patience.

I agree, Aaron and Tyson are geniuses with loads of knowledge and experience and I too scroll back and forwards through the videos to learn the best ways of modelling. I don’t get to watch many of the videos live as it’s dinner time in the UK and I have a family to feed, but I do watch all of the videos on YouTube once they become available. I do so wish I had their depth of knowledge and experience…

I’ve been struggling with creating dynamic components of different diameters and lengths of engineering screws which I’d like to select from a predefined list using dynamic options, i.e. diameter and length of screw and length of thread with the associated screw.

Has anyone already solved this?

Regards,

Simon

Oh, great question. When I brought the image in, I dragged it into SketchUp, so it comes in as just an image, not a texture. Rt-click on it, ‘Explode’ it and it will become a texture, and should at that point, be a ‘projected’ texture. If you created or move your sphere directly above the image, you can sample the new texture and paint it on your sphere. In the video, I painted it to the sphere group, and that was the wonky texture, but paint it on the actual sphere geometry to get it applied correctly.

@SPJSpencer Sorry, I wish I could help, but I know nothing about dynamic components, never did wrap my head around them.

Thanks for posting these Philip! Its amazing to see great close-up (and behind the scenes even) shots of this building. I don’t think I’d want that technician’s job.