Limitations of Sketchup Object Geometry?

I have been learning to use Sketchup (SketchUp 8) and was just at the point of upgrading to the Pro version.

However, I have recently had problems creating relatively simple geometry with version I am currently using. This concerns me, as without this functionality there is little point upgrading to the Pro version.

The object I have had problems with is a mitered frame with internal routered rebate all round. To construct this I tried two methods:

Method 1- I constructed a rectangle and extruded that into a timber section (2,000 x 50 x 120mm). I then created rectangles at 45 degree angles to bisect the timber and draw lines, (to form the mitred edges). All fine so far. I then modeled the required rebate profile, etruded and positioned this within the timber section and drew a cut line onto the timber. Locked. I couldn’t do anything to the timber because the open face of the timber is now at 45 degree angle to the length of the piece.

Method 2 - I reversed the construction by routering the rebates out of the timber length first and then attempting to mitre the 45 degree angles.

Neither method works and I need to know if a relatively simple object such as this is beyond the sketchUp modeling possibilities? The problem seems to relate to planes, as using the ‘Push/Pull’ tool to edit a component only seems to work along a single axis. Once the object has a kink in it the tool fails to work.

Can anyone advise on this and particularly whether alternative tools are available in the Pro version? Thanks

It would be much more clear if you upload your SKP file and would solve your problem too.

Thanks.

Or an image if you’re not allowed to share the model …

Case Frame Detail 141010.skp (60.8 KB)

Thanks for your replies. This shows the 4 pieces arranged prior to mitering the ends. You will see that the top rebate is chamfered at an angle (other than 90 degrees) which may be part of the problem? Any input really appreciated.

You may find this youtube video helpful.

Master Sketchup miter casing

Shep

I’m not really sure what the final goal should look like, but a simple follow me (with some extra lines if more details are needed) can do this?

frame.skp (86.7 KB)

Cotty,

Thanks so much for your input. So am I right in thinking that you used a ‘sweep’ tool to form the frame then created the miters? The version I am using is pretty basic (without this function), so I assume that the Pro version includes other tools, not currently available to me? I have used various 3D programs in the past, but they are both expensive and complex and unless using them constantly the knack just fades. I am hoping that Sketchup Pro gives me a balance of usability with sufficient range to create more than a picture frame :wink:

Thanks for your help on this!

I’ve used the “follow me”-tool, one of the basic tools (no PRO feature). The other used tool is the line tool to add the miter details. After this, I grouped the 4 sides to separate them.

The other solution uses the intersection function (no PRO too). This may be faster with the solid tools (PRO).

Shep, That helps a lot. I realise the free version only has half the tools, so probably time to upgrade!

Thanks for your help.

That’s simply not true. Insofar as constructiuon of geometry, SU Make has nearly the same toolset as Pro (it’s really just missing the Solid Tools, which aren’t really essential. You can construct pretty much any geometry with Make that you can with Pro). Most of the differences between the versions have more to do with import and export filters and the inclusion of the LayOut application with Pro.

You really need to go through the documentation to figure out what tools you have and what their capabilities are.

-Gully

2 Likes

The core tool sets are identical whether you’re using Make or Pro.
And an afternoon watching and modeling along with the SketchUp Toolbar Videos is a great way to learn the power of SketchUp’s native tools.

-Geo

Thanks. Good advice, although I need to find where some of the toolss are hiding, as my toolbar looks less extensive than the ones I see in video demos.

Point taken. I will explore further. Thanks

Try View > Toolbars. Not a well kept secret. At the risk of sounding repetitive, all you have to do is read the docs.

-Gully