Curving the edge when theres a mitred end

How can you render a piece of wood with a 1/2" rounded edge along its length and then miter the ends. I then want to show rebates along the length also. This seams really hard to draw in sketchup. Any help?

Use the Follow Me tool.

Knowledge Base listing for Follow Me

“Rebates”? What is that? Do you mean rabbets? Using the Follow Me tool, you will extrude a single profile, which will include both the rounded edge and rabbet.

If I may ask, what did you try to reach this conclusion?

-Gully

It’s generally best to work in SketchUp the way you would work in a real woodshop. So, make your piece of wood with its roundover and the rabbet (or rebate) along its length. You can use Follow Me or the Push/Pull Tool for this. Be sure the piece is longer than its finished length . Miter the piece last–again, as you would in the shop. To make the miter, generate a face (I call it a cutting plane) that is at a 45-degree angle tothe rabbeted and rounded-over piece of wood. Position the cutting plane where the finished end of the piece will fall. Then do an Intersect Faces with Model routine and erase the waste; you’ll be left with a perfectly mitered piece. If you need to miter both ends of the piece, use two cutting planes.
Hope this helps.

like this

note that I use keyboard shortcuts so you won’t see which tools i select uless you look at the mouse pointer. rectangle, then arc, then erase the unwanted bits, then line, copious use of shift to lock the direction the line is extending in then i can point to another node and line the being-drawn line up with the existing node, then select the path that you want the extrusion to follow, then follow me tool, (selection disappears) then click the extrusion template

If you don’t want mitres, you must make the path the extrusion will follow have curves instead of hard changes of direction (i used 90 degree corners)

ps; gully - is there really a need for [sic] in a quote? :slight_smile:

The need to include [sic] and the need for you to question it are approximately equal.

-G

Incidentally, the use of a smiley face after a challenge is pretty much textbook passive-aggressive behavior.

-G

Not so much; I was trying to politely point out that you really don’t need to go to the effort of pressing 6 extra keys, just to infer that the OP is some kind of illiterate moron. You further your apparent ignorance by demanding that he form his English to suit your specific local dialect. I my region we use “rebates” and I’ve never heard them called rabbets but I’m happy to let it slide, because it’s easier and faster to use Google to reach a “rebates=rabbets” conclusion than it is to put an arrogant comment like that

Just because someone gets your advice for free doesn’t give you the right to belittle them at the same time - plenty of other people manage to make this forum a nice place and it’s a real shame to see someone who knows so much about SketchUp disappear so far up his own arsehole that he can no longer empathise properly with someone who is new and seeking help.

1 Like

I own three rebate / rabbet planes. They all seem to work the same, no matter what you call them.
And despite years of practice I still find it troublesome to plane a rabbit; they tend to bite.
Nonetheless, I keep the rebate / rabbet / rabbit planes handy because they’re useful for flushing seams.
May peace, good humor (and spelling) prevail.

-Geo

1 Like

Geo. you just brightened up my day!

In the spirit of Edward, ever the stickler, that should be “imply.”

-Gully

1 Like

Not only can we sort out your SkectchUp queries, but we also assist the grammatically challenged.