Any staff care to comment on future of how they see terrain data (LIDAR/GIS/etc) being handled by Sketchup?
My thoughts/ideas are that speed and functionaiity could be added in the following areas:
- importing data with a relative base point (if we import it to 10,000m away from model origin, everything gets slow and difficult)… if we import it to 0,0,0 then we lose georeferncing.
- simplifying contours (good extension but far too slow).
- converting millions of tiny broken contour lines into a surface very quickly
- performing operations such as reducing or increasing complexity, smoothing, trimming/cropping, merging, etc. (common tasks for Civil3d, Revit, 12D, etc)
- importing formats such as SHP, MXD, KML, etc and recognising a few common associated objects such as coloured points, contour elevation labels, etc,
I’m keen to learn more.