Leader text disappears when I turn off object layer

I’m modeling a residential project and have many objects (not geometry) on many layers. It probably not the best organizational method…

So, I have a layer for floor joist and floor joist objects assigned to that layer. All well and good. I am using the leader text to note details that are called out on the plan. For instance, I’ll create a leader text object starting the leader on a floor joist object to create a notation to the relevant plan detail that describes the condition. When I select the leader text, object info says its on layer 0. However, when I turn off the layer associated with the floor joist, the leader text also disappears, as if it was on the layer assigned to the floor joist. I actually want to assign a separate layer to the leader text, but this doesn’t seem to be working at all as expected or desired.

Anyone have any ideas how to get this to work properly?

Thanks

Bob

It would be easier to give you a definitive answer but it sounds to me as if the leader text is inside a group or component that is assigned to the layer you are turning off. If that is the case, it would be better to leave the leader text outside all of the groups or components. Better, insert the leader text as labels in LayOut instead. You’ll have more control over the appearance and location and they just plain look nicer.

Even when leader text is not inside a group itself, it will be hidden when the object it points to is on a hidden layer. Otherwise it would look like it was pointing at something that wasn’t there. You could hide the leader in the advanced attributes of Entity Info, but it is still associated with the hidden object so it gets hidden when that object is hidden. That’s just the way it works, like it or not.

What you can do is put the text in a different layer and hide the text with the joists visible, but not hide the joists and leave the leader visible.

Label it in Layout.

Almost but not entirely true.
Leader text pointed to endpoints inside groups and components (whether named or not) will not just disappear when disabling the group’s or component’s layer with the text being “on” Layer0.

Ok, just tried that and you are correct.

Another clunky workaround if you prefer to do this in SketchUp is to create guide points at the point where your leader points to. You can even delete the guide point afterwards and the leader still points at the point where the guide used to be.

Hi Dave

Agreed, I could get nicer, but static, images using Layout. But, the model itself is going to be the deliverable, all marked up. I think taking a 3D model, viewable from any angle with any layers combo on/off, is far more informative and better than creating static 2D drawings fro that model. At least, thats the theory I’m pushing!

McGordon, below, has explained exactly what I discovered - that when you create a leader text off an object, the text is forever tied to that object / layer.

Thanks, Dave!

These leader text entities may have the desired location(s) in modeling space but they (unfortunately ! or ?) are not attached to the group or component. So they do not move when moving the group or component. Once you move the arrow tip of such a text (with the text tool active) in order to attach it to the object it will act as described in earlier posts.

p.s. I have no clue why SketchUp treats endpoints differently as to why text remains visible.
(this also applies to endpoints in ungrouped geometry when “on” some other layer. (not that I would advice doing so with basic geometry!)

Yep, that’s it exactly. Playing around, I came to that conclusion.

I’m philosophically opposed to taking a dynamic 3D model and turning into a finite set of static images. Seems akin to taking a Ferrari engine and putting it into a Model T - you could, but why? We’re well into the 21st Century, time for architects and builders alike to get outta the past.

Thanks for responding, McGordon!

Bob

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.