Layout too slow to use

I think there is something in LayOut that is taking too long to make thumbnails. You could export the image of the same view in SketchUp in a very short time.

yeah of course but I canā€™t dimension that or issue scale drawings.

When you say ā€œthere is somethingā€ what do you mean specifically and is this something that could be identified and resolved?

Itā€™s not quite

thoughā€¦

If you asking me, yes, I think thereā€™s something in LayOut that can be fixed.

1 Like

yes I was, thanks colin - but you mean by the devs not by me?

1 Like

By the LayOut devs.

1 Like

sorry @colin , I just reread and understand what you mean - if sketchup can render the image on the screen in a few seconds why canā€™t layout?

1 Like

LayOut is getting snappier, especially when you turn off snapping. Dimensioning however (with snapping on) , in particular with section cuts, is ssssssssssllllllllllllllloooooooowwwwwwwww. Unacceptable sssslllllooooowwww.

1 Like

I was thinking more of when you export an image from SketchUp. Then it has to render the whole scene to a large image, and it does it quickly. Also when you make new scenes, you do get a warning that making scene thumbnails can take a while, but it then goes on to make dozens of screen thumbnails in a couple of seconds. If SketchUp can make thumbnails that fast, LayOut ought to be able to as well.

1 Like

My sympathies Dan,
Unfortunately, you are certainly not the first, nor will you be the last, to ā€œget brokenā€ by LayOut!

2 Likes

thanks @Beamer2 thereā€™s some small consolation in that.

Can anyone comment on Revit LE as an alternative for me? I can of course get a trial and watch some tutorials but Iā€™d be really interested to hear from anyone who uses both that and SU/LO

Layout is so flippin slow, honestly itā€™s so frustrating hahaā€¦ Iā€™m trying to make another cd set today and itā€™s a nightmare. Itā€™s so slow that Iā€™m on the forums hunting for a new fix that I know doesnā€™t exist, (trying anyways though). The speed of the program is so bad that sometimes it distracts me away from actually using it and trying to find a way in the forums to make it fasterā€¦ Basically every time I use this program I am very frustratedā€¦

4 Likes

But wait ā€¦
Didnā€™t Trimble just tell us in response to your great LayOut Petition that they were going to fix everything?
(Maybe Iā€™m mistaken ā€¦ But I really would like to see some sort of ā€œSummary/Conclusionā€ statement about how the Petition really resolved ā€¦?). I kinda missed the last days of the LO Petition, when Trimble responded, and what they said ā€¦ can anyone summarize the outcome of the LayOut Petition that so many of us contributed to?
Thanks in Advance!

Just go read the petition. Itā€™s still up.

1 Like

Hi folks, I have to echo @lbandrews1 Layout is just to slow. When Layout is not thinking, its pretty good. Could be better but pretty good. The trouble is it spends way too much time thinking. It is too slow to load a file, to step between pages with viewports and to refresh on resizing a viewport.

I split my Layouts into smaller files, one for the cover sheet, another for a bunch of drawing pages, and yet another, and so on. I often run two computers with different subsections of my work.

When one instance of Layout is thinking, I would like to open another, but I cannot. All instances of Layout open in the same Window and in that Window I have a spinning wheel.

Often my models include entourage taken from the 3D Warehouse. I have heard the expression ā€œbloatwareā€. However, Sketchup Pro is licensed as an integrated product of Sketchup, Layout 3D warehouse, extensions etc. All the parts need to work together. That includes Layout and the 3D warehouse.

My W10 computer - an i7 8700, 32 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080, a mix of solid state and hard drives.

Recently I have seen acknowledgements by the Sketchup Team recognising that Layout needs work. Please give us speed.

1 Like

I donā€™t think SketchUp should be responsible for the bloatware at the Warehouse.

Respectfully, in my opinion, thatā€™s your responsibility.

Yes but Trimble should be fix Layout lags and issues
The 2021.1 version is the worst of them. 2 hours instead of 1 to make drawings !! I use Sketchup+Layout frim its start on 2000 and Layout had always encounter problems and lags

1 Like

Sorry, Iā€™m being pendantic - Layout was released in 2007.

Yes Mogil,
That pretty much says it!
Tons of ā€œWork Aroundsā€ (such as your breaking work into many separate files, one of the work arounds I use every day) is unfortunately totally necessary to actually get any work done in a reasonable amount of time.
But WOW, actually running projects on two separate computers is a new milestone (at least to me) for ā€œWork Aroundsā€! That is brilliant! And costly, and also very depressing ā€¦ is this where we are all headed in order to just get a bare minimum performance out of this neglected program called LayOut??
Great job Trimble - all we have to do is buy TWO computers to get single performance out of your DOG program, LayOut ā€¦ or maybe, at this point, it should it be called LayDown (and just Die?)
OK, so, yea ā€¦ Congratulations to Trimble for ā€œrecognizedā€ that LayOut is what we all know it is *** ā€¦
To stay dedicated to SketchUp (which we mostly really love, or we would not be here, caring) Trimble should know that we NEED LayOut, in order to complete the path from Design, to Construction. For SketchUp Pro users who utilize this software every day to earn a buck, we are kinda held hostage, waiting ā€¦ and waiting ā€¦ for LayOut to finally WORK!
Forgive my analogy (and venting), but itā€™s like we have 1/2 of a fantastic design software solution (SketchUp) - and we love the half that works so much, that we are willing to die on the alter of the other half (LayOut), just to drag our products to the finish line!
I, for one, am getting really tired of waiting. I want a clear declaration from Trimble on what they are actually going to do to improve LayOut, and when they are going to to it!
Who else feels this way?
Did the recent ā€œLayOut Petitionā€ really get us any tangible commitments (with timelines) from Trimble?

1 Like

hi, sorry your trueā€¦ time is going on and yes I start with sketchup at its start on 2000 but Layout came after.
thanks for the remind:)