Layout too slow to use

HOW TO MAKE LAYOUT FASTER:

I’m running into this layout speed thing again… I have a fast computer setup, it’s not totally top of the line, but it’s 48gb ram, radeon rx 580 graphics, 2 nocturo cooling fans (not water cooled), a 8700 coffee lake cpu running at 5ghz. I know I have a good setup, I’ll be improving my graphics and ram at some point to be even better, but it’s good enough…

I can’t express how important and insightful this video is that talks about how to really get the most out of layout speed. I have seen this video before, actually twice. Now this is my 3rd time tonight. I was so upset by how slow layout has been acting for me tonight that when I came acrross this video again, I checked some settings of mine and had my settings wrong… Turns out once I fixed my settings according to this video, display resolution, auto render box off, etc, layout is WAYYYYYYYYYY faster, it’s quite fast and it’s quite snappy. I must often forget to not have these settings set or my template system is messed up and unoroganized on my end. I also think it helps to know how much useage you’re computer is getting. I am not a computer whiz, but I know that if my computer is on too long during the day, especially for those of you that have there computer on for more than a day (which I rarely do) restarting your computer can give it a great performance boost for many more hours of the day, so you can try that, and also try to be mindful of how many heavy ram intensive programs you have open, even a ton of google chrome tabs might make an impact too, especially youtube tabs or media intensive. Really worth it to give this video a watch and watch it again if you’ve already seen it and check those settings in layout and what you’re doing on your computer while using Layout. I actually have to say that I’m shocked how fast and snappy it is when I do all this (again) hopefully I’ll remember to do this more often now.

I hope this helps a number of people out.

3 Likes

Dave, Does the graphics card help Sketchup on the Mac side? I have a Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB running 2021 and 2d line work is painful. I have seen “workarounds” that are not reflective of how most of us design and create CD sets. I can post the file… Here’s a movie of my attempt to flip an arrow. I spent 5 minutes with no success

I do a lot of masonry and steel details and have few 3d components. His drawing sets are not set up for what I do… More like hospitality work… Lineweights are SUPER important… Rhino and Archicad?

Do you not get Context Click Flip?

It spins and then flips the text upside down. Most programs have a dialogue box. Perhaps there’s a way to sort it out with layers? Text on top and elevation markers on the bottom???

I like to take an old set and modify it. That saves time. It doesn’t work in Layout… 3 sheets are 42 megs no matter what I do to purge it. The original set is sixteen 18x24" sheets. How does anyone get anything done? I do NOT want to recreate the sheets everytime. It’s too expensive and a pain. Ideas?

I would start a new thread for your questions rather than burying them in this thread.
I don’t use layout enough to be able to help you and will leave it to other more experienced heads.
But I would suggest to add a file to your thread so people have something to look at and show you what may be going on.

1 Like

Good advice. The file size is HUGE and I cannot seem to reduce it… I have an idea. I had two photos in the set and reduced the resolution to 1200 x 1600 which reduced the file size by 75%. Good news!

Exactly…

1 Like

I have same issue about layout when I insert or updated my 3d model file. Trying to fix it and running better. I think the problem is model and file. Hope we could find the solution. Use smart and plugins instead.

It is a pity about layout being slow and unusable for real world (I.e. paid) use, I know they haven’t perhaps had the budget to improve it, or perhaps the base code simply doesn’t permit drastic improvement and they need to rebuild from the ground up, at too much cost. Perhaps the recent price restructure could assist with that?

I use autocad for final drawing outputs, Layout is just too slow and having to keep a constant eye on file size, whether Model or imported models, is admin that shouldn’t need to happen. Using cad,I don’t think I’ve ever cared about file size. I do appreciate the complexities of 2 and 3D, but even so.

Sorry, seemed to have turned into a moan!

2 Likes

…same here! With some few simple fixes LO can become the perfect tool alongside SU but they still have not implemented these yet. I think they want us to focus on BIM but all of my constructors I work with still are working with drafts…

1 Like

Sorry to hear! Yes it would be great if focused on what we want and not what they think we want! I do support them and have used their products for many years, it’s just those final tweaks that would really make it useful.

Just for comparison, here’s AutoCAD copying a view port and then going to preview mode. It’s just smooth, though in complete fairness, it’s able to use the GPU as much as it likes (I have a Quadro RTX 4000), but even on inferior GPU’s used in the past (like a Quadro P2000 or even a very old GTX 560!), it was still usable so long as there was enough system RAM.

But that’s just 2D linework…??

When copying & pasting a viewport in LO it is the SU model view that is being copied and pasted and we know that there are issues with the rendering of SU model viewports - some people (me included) have no problems yet others do.

If you exploded a SU model viewport and did a copy / paste then that would be the equivalent to what you show in the video…??

2 Likes

You’re absolutely right, I meant to mention that, however I’ve also done 3D models in CAD and the viewport responds in the same manner.

I’m not knowledgeable when it comes to GPU utilisation, but perhaps SU correctly started out with minimal PC spec requirements, though now it’s expanded it’s abilities, it could be time to fully utilise like other programs?

I can certainly try the explode option, I’ll give it a go when I’ve got a moment.

1 Like

This exactly what I mean!!! Why should you want to copy/use an entiry SU model in a viewport to copy as the output is 2d?! Speed it Up and IF you want to change the view or anything, change it in SU!

Sorry, you lost me.

…viewports in LO have to much data and should be “exploded” / 2d to gain performance. So, NO, snapping points from an entire model but only snapping points from a ‘flat’ 2d section (like an exploded viewport).

I don’t have a problem with this, but for sure, if one has a super complex model and tag control can’t help then I guess this could be a problem…

Okay…never mind.