Issue with Snapping to object points in Layout: Line tool, Move Objects and Editing Nodes of Masking objects

Folks,
In Layout 2018 Pro (64 bit PC) I’ve been having a couple issues for a while moving nodes of a Masking Object
First issue: Once Gripped with Mouse Cursor, and move begun, the Node would JUMP all over the place, with GRID SNAP turned off/OBJECT SNAP turned on. I discovered having the SU viewport set to Vector style VS Raster Style helped. I believe that the Mouse Cursor was grabbing LOW Quality Pixels…Not sure.

Second Issue:
The NODE will NOT move on AXIS (X or Y) in order to make minor adjustments of the mask. This one is unresolved with a workaround.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

In the Pic below, the NODE is being moved to the right. The Purple dash is the inference direction which I have no idea what it represents. the attempt was to move in the RED “X” direction. Holding Shift does not force the direction either.

Have you tried turning off Object Snap?

It would be helpful to have the LO file. If you don’t want to share it all, you could copy the part in question into a new file and upload that.

I would just add my own voice to criticism of the way this kind of thing works in LO and especially the fact that it is unintuitive. You would expect to be able to lock the direction of travel just as you can in SU. In fact, you seem to end up with a node like this dancing all over the place at apparent random unless, as @DaveR suggests, you turn off all snapping. That does allow more freedom but you generally want to be more specific.

The same kind of thing happens with dimensions where LO often wants to choose every orientation for the dimension line conceivable except the one you actually want. I often find I have to place dimensions a long way from where I want them and then move them to where I do, an unnecessary double handling.

DaveR:

Thanks for the follow up… I can share the LO example… doesn’t the SU reference file need to be included?

Steve Gravatte, AIA

Steve, the LayOut file includes the SKP file as a reference so there’s no need to add it separately.

Got it DaveR…Attaching shortly

1 Like

Having Trouble uploading Layout file…any hints? I’m selecting the UPLOAD icon, choosing fle, it starts to load, then nothing gets attached.

Drop Box might be a good idea if it’s over about 3 Mb.

Right on…

Downloading now. If you don’t want the world to have your file you could pull the link. Or maybe it doesn’t matter.

I have to run out for a little while but I’ll be back.

Thanks Dave…I saw that a Guest was viewing…I’ll pull the link

1 Like

So is this what you are seeing? If not, it might be useful to zoom in closer.

Another thing you can do is hold Shift once you’ve started moving the node in the red or green direction.

I sent you a PM.

DaveR,

I’m seeing a node NOT moving in either X,Y direction… And I have figured out that putting SKUP models in Vector mode does help AND turning off Grid helps… TO BE CONTINUED

Steve Gravatte, AIA

I’m not sure what that means. Will you be around on Monday?

DaveR,

Yes, I’ll be available Monday after 11:30 E.S.T.

Thank you for your continued assistance

Steve Gravatte, AIA

I sent you a PM.

My bad… appt. ran long this morning.

Steve Gravatte, AIA

I’ll be back at computer by 1:30p

Steve Gravatte, AIA

1 Like