Is it possible to change camera controls?

Hi there,

I’m new to sketchup, and am fumbling along blindly. (don’t worry about that, I have been playing EvE for years, I’ll manage)

My question is quite simple, but I have been unable to find an answer to it; so it is either impossible to do or is so simple it will make me feel ashamed and never post here again :smile:

Anyway - I have use CAD for a quite a long time, and still do. In CAD holding shift orbits the camera and middle mouse button only pans. In SketchUp holding shift pans and middle button only orbits.

This is sending me mad. All I would like is the option to change this.

Please help…

No, unfortunately this is not configurable. Probably SketchUp is CAD in 3D (it has not even several isometric views), so moving around in 3d is the major activity rather than panning left/right/top/down.

How is you question in anyway related to extensions? If you wanted to ask whether there exists an extension that allows to change that, no unfortunately that does also not exist. At least you can continue posting here :wink:

@hilltopmonk
You may want to consider adding a 3d mouse to your palette of tools. This type of device will perform the panning and orbiting tasks (as well as zooming and rotating) that you currently associate with your 3 button mouse and will function in the proscribed manner regardless of the program you are running. An added benefit will be a noticeable increase in productivity, once you acclimate to using a mouse in each hand simultaneously.

How is you question in anyway related to extensions?

As you rightly assumed I was hoping that if it wasn’t a feature of the product then someone may have provided a extension that did this.

You may want to consider adding a 3d mouse to your palette of tools

I may well consider this at some point in the future, but for now, honestly I’m having trouble retraining myself to do simple things like not double tap spacebar to repeat actions. It’s probably not the best time to be adding new hardware into the mix.

Thanks to both of you, for answering my question.

I guess I will have to just get used to the differences.