Is automatic merging of geometry a SketchUp bug?

In Sketch up, why does a plane/rectangle automatically merge on to other mesh face when placed on top or into it.
I was making a building, created a plane and just moved onto the surface of another box. Instantly a vertex merged onto the box and when I move that plane, the vertex of the other box comes with it. So when I double click select the plane, both objects get selected.
Is this a bug or there’s a way around it?

This is no bug. It’s intended behavior. I suggest you look at some of the basic tutorial videos and learn about using groups and components.

Start here.

3 Likes

Also, if you want one set of faces to not merge with any other faces, you can Group them, or turn them into a component.

I use Maya for high end works, but in that if I place something together, it won’t merge automatically. So just curious.

The “sticky geometry” is the base of SketchUp. If you don’t want things to stick make them separate groups/components (i.e. make them separate meshes).

SketchUp is a surface modeler, not an object or solid modeler. Until you tell it that a collection of edges and faces is a “thing” by creating a group or component SketchUp by design accumulates and merges the geometry you add.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.