Installing Benjamin Moore color palete (skp file)

I agree with Anssi.

Here I modified that dark red color to have the same RGB values of BM013.

I just did the same experiment you did on one of the other BM Palettes that I hadn’t saved to 2017. The same color showed properly in SU2016 and pixelated in SU2017.

Thanks everyone for the assistance. I’ve been so swamped with other project, I haven’t had a chance to give them a try, but will. And report back. I have SKU Pro 2015 on a mac with 10.10.5.
Thanks

Try turning off Maximum Textures in Preferences>OpenGL before importing the images. Do you get a different result?

It was off already. I turned it on, got a graphics card warning, ended up with the same result.

Nuts!

What’s especially weird here is that the JPEG system uses 8x8 pixel blocks for its compression. Using it for a 2x2 image doesn’t make sense regardless of the image contents! At best is it just copying the image without any compression but with some jpeg overhead. Somebody at BM didn’t think this through very clearly…

I recently saw another model that had a material with a 1x1 pixel texture image. SU didn’t like that and displayed it as black!

When using a rendering application, it is generally a good practice to use a texture on all surfaces, even flat colours. Render engines usually behave better, with less radiosity artifacts and better control of material properties. But even they prefer much bigger images than 2 x 2 pixels. I have noticed that even the images used by the SketchUp standard materials tend to misbehave. In this case I rarely use images smaller than something like 256 x 256 pixels.

Anssi

Just tried something else. I opened the BM File in SU16. I created a color swatch of Ben Moore 421. It looks good. I made that swatch a component and saved it to my project folder. I imported that swatch into my SU17 project, and the swatch is pixelated.

I am a newbie too to SketchUp Pro. Would like to use a Benjamin Moore colour on walls and ceilings. Did you manage to load the BM colour library into SketchUp? I am on a PC.

There are a variety of Benjamin Moore materials in the 3D Warehouse. Just download one or more of those into a new file and save them as a local collection. Here’s one with over 1600 Ben Moore colors.

1 Like

How do I search for Benjamin Moore paint colours? Open the 3D Warehouse and search within Interior Design? That didn’t work. Where should I be looking for the brand and the specific colour I am after?

Related to changing colours … can I change the colour of a component which I downloaded from 3D Warehouse? For example, I want to change the colours of the upholstery and cushions on this sofa.

This is all I did.

You can edit the colors of the In Model materials. Click on the house icon in the Materials panel to go to the In Model materials. Select the material and click on the Edit tab.
Screenshot - 5_28_2021 , 3_00_43 PM

Or, if you’ve got a stand alone image editor, you can set it up as the default in Preferences>Applications and then right click on the In Model texture and choose to edit in your image editor.

Screenshot - 5_28_2021 , 2_59_23 PM

Screenshot - 5_28_2021 , 2_59_53 PM

You could also edit the component and repaint with new textures if you prefer.

1 Like

When I followed your directions for downloading Benjamin Moore paint colors, it treated the color palette like a component. i.e. it loaded the picture of the palette directly into my SketchUp model. I don’t want to put a model of the palette into my model drawing, I just want to use a Benjamin Moore color within my Sketch Up model drawing. On the walls.

Of course it did. That’s the way things insert into SketchUp from the 3D Warehouse. Apparently you didn’t read the instructions I wrote on April 29th regarding saving the colors after downloading the component into a new file.

After following the above instructions, in a blank empty temporary model, you can discard that model.

Then, open your work model and choose a BM paint color as you would any other library material.

If you instead downloaded the component into your working model, then (after saving the paint colors to a local collection,) delete the component instance, and do a purge of the components and materials collections (in that order) to get back to where you were (before the download.)

Thereafter, choose paints from your new local collection of BM colors.