Increasing the model scale makes the file heavier or slowest do work on?

I´m wondering if Increasing the model scale makes the file heavier or slowest do work on?

Scale has no bearing on file size.

but can make the project sluggish?

No. Entity count (number of edges and faces) and texture image sizes and things like that can make a project sluggish.

2 Likes

Hi Marcel

Do not understand the question. In the sketchup everything is drawn in 1: 1
So this question doesn’t make sense to me.

maybe this will help you, see here:
how to optimize your large SketchUp model

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLmqRo6w7m0

Not everything.

Not necessarily true. SketchUp enforces no scale, SketchUp has no idea what kind of real-world object (if any) is represented by the edges and faces in a model. Creating geometry at a 1:1 scale is a common suggestion when representing tangible objects in SketchUp, but it is not required.

For example, some people who use SketchUp in their workflow of creating physical HO-scale model railroad objects create the SketchUp model at 1:1 scale and then reduce the model to 1:87 when exporting or printing etc. Other people create the SketchUp model at 1:87 scale and then print the model at its miniature “full size”. The former approach is frequently recommended and makes the most sense to me, but it is not required.

2 Likes

Ok, I’m an architect and don’t know anything like that,
we always draw everything in 1: 1. Can only be amazed and accepted this solution.

As a hobby model maker, I do the scaling in the layout.
I wonder what I’ve been doing all these years and what do you need the tool layout for.
We used to draw like this when there was no computer, on paper plans.
yes i am so old!

By 1:1 you mean 1cm = 1cm?

That’s the normal way to work in SketchUp. Use real world dimensions.

There are some cases where it is appropriate to do something else, though.

It won’t do* , a square face is just 4 coordinates of where each corner is, in some respect it doesn’t matter whether they are close to each other or far from each other.

*If you go too big , for example making 1mm of space the equivalent of a kilometre, then you might see some weirdness for other reasons. But probably not slowness and certainly not a larger file.

exactly: If you measure a real object 1cm then you also draw 1cm in the sketchup.
Settings can be made in measurement units
s1

Modeling at 1:1 is the most common scale (or lack of scale?) and works well with most everyday objects. However, for users working with small dimensions in the 3D manufacturing space like 3D printing, laser cutting or machining, working at 1:1 often fails due to SketchUp’s lower limit of face creation. When edges get down around .001 inches (a common measurement in machine parts) SketchUp will fail to form faces even with coplanar edges. This often shows up as holes in the mesh in places where tiny facets are needed, like chamfered or rounded edges, making models un-solid. It is an established practice to work around this limitation by setting the model units to Meters, and modeling as if they were MM (or 1:1000). It’s an easy conversion to make in you head and avoids the tiny face problem.

That said, the “size” of a model has no bearing on the file size or speed of rendering on the screen. However, as pointed out, there is an upper limit at which Open-GL and the camera positioning system start to struggle to cope, somewhere around a mile or so.