Inaccurate lines in SketchUp MatchPhoto

I’ll have to see what I can fix with the lens. I actually ended up moving all of that junk in the way of my lines (it sucked) and it was still off by up to a foot which Is way too much, I had to guestimate…

Hobby? Kinda sorta, I am going to try to start a 3d modeling scenery design company while I am in school, its for a flight sim where I will basically turn the real world airport into a virtual one with 3ds Max, GIS software and satellite imagery, Photoshop and trying to figure out PhotoMatch which will help a lot. So every little building, fence, taxiway light needs to be modeled and I am trying to make it as easy as possible.

I am trying to learn 3DS Max now and got some books for it, that program is insanely complex for a beginner. What stinks even more is I have to learn programs for school from Autodesk and they’re all so different! ughhh. Now its just the education phase, then when I am confident enough that ill be able to do a great job ill start on the big project.

The end product will hopefully look similar to this airport and others on this particular website: https://orbxdirect.com/product/kors

Before I get started Ill have to buy SketchUp pro but for now I’m using Make until I know for sure ill really use it when I get there, I don’t think I can use it for anything other than PhotoMatch unfortunately…

Actually, I start by measuring just enough to get over all volume or shape, and model that shape first using the dimensions. In the case of your shed, that would be just the over all width, depth and height to the eave, and maybe the overhang at the peak (using a Leica Disto, it has to be a surface you can hit with a laser dot). After modeling the basic shape, then I go about matching photos. I usually have a half dozen or so photos that I match with one model.

Just to check: Are you remembering to scale the size of the model during Photomatch, that is dragging near the vertical axis until the whole model matches the size of the picture as best as possible?

Hi
A couple of things:

The placing of the help- or setting lines influences your drawing very much, see to it that they are placed precisely over the lines in the photo you have chosen as guides. Use your zoom to get them placed exactly.

When you use multiple photos, you need to start out with drawing as much as possible of the model from the first photo and then adjust the rest of the photos, that is the scale and origin, from the model. A yardstick or meter ditto placed near or on the object in vertical is also a good help, when it comes to scaling the model.

It also helps to create (temporary) scenes of zoomed in pin locations to correct the pins if you aren’t satisfied of the overall view of the ‘MatchPhoto’.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.