Importing from rhino

Hi every one, I’m New on the forum and i’d like to thanks everyone is going to give me an answer. I’d like to ask if there is any possibilities to avoid triangulation of model while importing on sketchup from rhinoceros. It’s a really huge model, so it would be too long to hide the uorrect lines manually!

What format are you importing? Dxf, 3ds and obj are all going to be triangulated upon import unless there is a plugin I have not seen.

Why do you need to hide the lines in the model? You can turn edges off and leave profiles on to get a neater outline, and if you plan on rendering you wont see the lines at all.

Hi, thank you for your reply

I tried importing both dwg and dxf;

I need to hide the triangulation’s lines in the model because I’d like to export 2D images (not rendered)

I tried to switch off edges and leave the profile but it did somethiing wired: leaving the profile with number 1 I don’t see any change, if i increase the number from 1 to 2 some outline remain, some other go, but the trangulation line are gone…

It’s a urbanistic model, that’s why I can’t hide all line manually :slight_smile:

Export a DWG or DXF file from Rhino.
Then, look under the Options button when importing the file into SketchUp.
Tick … Merge coplanar faces

1 Like

Hi Geo,
Should I also tick all the other one like on the picture?
Thank you very much for you answer

You can also export a SketchUp model (.skp) directly from Rhino. Depending on your model, it may be best to convert your Nurbs surfaces to meshes, and to use the mesh reducing command before exporting. That gives you most control over the process. The standard meshing and mesh type exporting results have often far too many polygons for SketchUp.

4 Likes

As @Anssi said, better is to make mesh before and than save to skp (for better the control).

If you want the materials in Lumion to be different for different surfaces, objects or layers, then you need to make sure a material name is assigned to each. And, it is a unique (different) name from other material names. The material name for the surfaces making up the model, define which surfaces will be combined and named in Lumion as a single combined surface. This is done for performance, and ease of use in applying and updating materials.
Mobdro

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.