Import PDF it is a must

SKETCHUP it is time to be able to insert a PDF file as additional pages into SKP layout, and sketchup , and able to snap on it, it is very important for modeling process when it comes to collect info from others.

7 Likes

Or import raster info as images or textures and vector info as edges and faces.

1 Like

It comes on second

I’ve been saying this for a while!

1 Like

Therefore the community need to make a pressure

1 Like

Lots of us

1 Like

I don’t think it would come in second. If you want to use inferences with the imported pdf, then it should act as a SketchUp component inside the model. Images, textured faces, colored faces and edges it’s what you’d get from importing a pdf.

Otherwise it would work like importing an image and that’s already possible if you convert the pdf first

1 Like

Well it depends on what you want to do, but in term of line quality and snapping capability the image is not at all what i need and unfortunatly what I am using at the time being. But this should change and I would like to add a pdf page into layout in order to add my input on it ( with snapping capability)

1 Like

随着PDF的普及,确定有这个必要增加这项功能
不过目前是采用裁图的方式插入SU,然后用卷尺工具进行缩放,然后再行描图建模.
而AUTOCAD则可以导入PDF,然后也就可以DWG导入SU.
但不知SU是否会增加这样的导入功能.

With the popularity of PDF, it is necessary to add this function

At present, however, Su is inserted by cutting, then scaled with tape tool, and then traced for modeling

AutoCAD can import PDF, and then DWG can import su

But I wonder if Su will add such import function

2 Likes

Yes, we have this on Mac but inside SketchUp it looks like a bitmap, in LayOut retains the Pdf clarity. Neither allow snapping to objects in the pdf. I didn’t know that could be possible without changing the pdf to another format, eg. “exploding” it to native objects.

If you really need pdf as vector into SketchUp or layout you should convert it to dxf in inkscape and import it to SU LO. A bit cumbersome but it works.

Dome other vector formats are missing in SketchUp like SVG. It should be available as it’s an internet standard and supported by most illustration apps.

1 Like

Thank for your reply,
It would be nice that inside skp the pdf file can be imported like an XREF external reference that make skp file light and definitely able to snap, and inside layout when we insert a pdf file it like an additional page that we can draw in it in layer and scale drawing input.
This will increase tremendously the productivity the coordination and workflow.

Thank you

yeah it’s 2021…this needs to be prioritised.

Most PDFs are a vectorised mess when you actually open and analyse them…lots of very closely spaced and overlapping edges and points.

A few, usually created by Adobe or CAD products, are actually pretty good and would make good candidates for sketchup vectorisation.

2 Likes

PDF into Layout as well as OTHER vector file formats!

1 Like

It may be or it can be insert as a back wall page allowing you to snap when you want to add lines or create a scale drawing etc

That could be ok, but having all the work to create vectors and inferences and do not allow true SketchUp entities seems a waste to me.

Actually I personally wouldn’t use such a snap capability. I have come not to trust imported vector information in SketchUp anyway, except CAD that I create myself. Snapping, same as reusing imported edges, can give a model that is slightly off, and you have a mess down the line. I understand the desire though.

4 Likes

Depends on the work I carry but if it’s accurate work I also prefer importing Raster and tracing on top.

If it’s fast and dirty I use CAD but I know I will have problems with non perpendicular edges or gaps and tiny edges. A mess that is easily avoidable when tracing over a JPG or PNG.

A PDF created from CAD or illustrator will have the same issues as a DWG.

Having said that, I use Edge Tools by Thomthom to fix my CAD files

Importing edges or vectors or cad lines that make file very heavy because you will add millions of lines while if we can insert just pdf as xref inside sketchup ( like autocad does) or insert pdf as additional page in layout and able to draw on it with snapping capability ( like bluebeam or pdf acrobat pro) this will make file very light and very interesting feature. It is a must

1 Like

That’s true. Most pro designers now use pretty complex software. While it used to be preferable to source and import and or DWG and get vector linework, that’s not so easy when dealing with RVT, 12D , VX or C3D files …the PDF is more appropriate. Thankfully that’s format that’s not going away any time soon.

Hi res raster import with a scale tool…not rocket science.

Adding some tools to delete layers if the pdf uses those(titleblock, files and effects, dims, anots) or text, would be appropriate as well.