IFC4 Import

Hello together

I think SketchUp is great and I like to have it in use. I use it mainly in connection with IFC files. But we have more and more problems with the import, because the IFC4 schema prevails. Unfortunately we have no control over the export, we have to work with what we get.
Did I miss something or is there no IFC4 import possible in SketchUp?

Greetings Ramon

1 Like

You didn’t miss anything, there are some export options for ifc4 added in the 2021 version, but no import…

Is there any news on this? Import / Export should definitely get more love in Sketchup. @TheOnlyAaron always points out how Sketchup is (for so many people) the right tool for a certain job, how you would work with many tools and jump in and out I very much agree but it’s always so embarrassing that there are so few actual import and export formats. I tried importing an ifc file from Revit and it just keeps crashing Sketchup. Step isn’t possible. Obj isn’t possible. IGS works but most of the time IGS exported files that I import in Sketchup have lost all geometry groupings so it’s just a big mess. The best results I have is via DWG or 3DS + Cleanup3 to get rid of the triangles - but seriously. I think this could be such a welcome addition. Let Sketchup do what it is great at. And give us a chance to get our data in and out.