I can't use Follow Me on very large arcs

You’ll have to flip it upside down to see the underside I removed to make room for the channel. It doesn’t have to be exactly that size (I was having trouble sizing it too. I thought the ruler allowed for resizing, but I guess not, and typing in the values during scaling is problematic when the Follow Me doesn’t work all the way up the arc.).
Essentially, it should be 2’ deep and 1.5’ wide.
There is no thickness to any of this because the whole arc gets mounted in the underside of a larger structure with the arc space already made for it. So the arc itself has to be exactly the size shown (or, I can resize it…carefully).

I think we’'re going around in circles. You can’t run Follow Me on an edge. The profile has to be a face. So the resulting extrusion will have to to have thickness. You can remove unneeded faces after the extrusion. The only think in your model at the moment that will work with Follow Me is the rectangular face at the end which I showed in the screen shot.

The model is so poorly constructed, I can’t get accurate dimensions out of it. That why I’ve asked several times for the dimensions.

I’m sorry. I’d like to teach you how to do this but I think I need to give up on this. It doesn’t need to be that difficult but I need useful information about what the cross section is and the real dimensions of the arc.

The arc measures 1291’ 5 5/16" between its base at ground. The width of the arc, including the channel, is 20’ 6 11/16" (if this is 20’ 7" I can hide the excess behind another face). The channel is in the middle at 1.5’ wide and 2’ deep.
Funny, I thought one could extrude along an edge. In fact, it seemed to work that way up to a point anyway, then started dropping faces and skipping empty spaces. I can certainly try adding thickness to the outer arc if that will help. It would be 2.5’ thick then, to cover the channel completely so it would only be visible from the underside.

Oh, and it is a perfect half circle. A Catenary Arch

I tried deleting everything in your model until there was just a single line arc. Selecting that and trying the follow me tool gave an error about how it didn’t seem to be a valid path.

If you select the arc tool and type 200 Enter, to make it be a 200 segment arc, then click on one end of your old arc, then the other end, then raise the new arc up to the height of the old arc (in other words, remake the arc), it then will work with the follow me tool.

I’m with Dave on this, I can’t see what you are trying to create from your model.
However I’m guessing you don’t fully understand how the follow me tool works.
As Dave already said, you need a ‘Path’ and a ‘Profile’ the path in this case being the arc while the profile is the shape you want to extrude along that path. The profile needs to be a single flat face and the path an edge or a selection of continuous edges.
So you see here I have selected one arc (I used a weld plugin to connect all the segments together, but it would still work if you selected them all individually) as the path, then activated the Follow me tool and clicked on the face of the profile.

Inner Arch and Trough.skp (403.2 KB)

Thanks guys. I think this is better now, but I still can’t get the shortcut you use to hop from one end to the other, and dragging the arc up causes skips and abrupt ends. Perhaps this file gives a better idea of what I am trying to do. I have to put a second arc on the other side of the channel. Off to bed now, but I will check back later.

I’m sorry, but until you understand how to use Follow me there is no point continuing to help with trying to fix this model.
I show you again , you need to draw the profile of the shape you want and use that with one continuous path. Where the profile is positioned in relation to the path effects things also.

1 Like

Inner Arch and Trough.skp (396.1 KB)

It works!
Now, one last question (for now). Is there a way to place a repeating geometry along the two outer protrusions on the new arc? These are the track beds, and here is the track:

Elevator Track.skp (183.1 KB)

Ignore the trough. It’s just the track segment I need all the way along the inside of the two protrusions along the inside edges of the arc. Or, maybe I need to create segments differently first?

Mr Box… how you did to show it screem compact of draw…with sides, bulge, dimensions…etc. ?
I use skectch up 2016, i think it screem compact very good.