How's everyone else here practise drawing with SU?

Hi, I just started the class Vray for Sketchup a week ago and trying to practise at home. I feel like I am going nowhere if I just randomly draw something, so just want to know if there is any actual floorplans/works out there for me to follow.

Also, how’s everyone else here practise drawing with SU?

Thanks!

When I started using SU seriously, I found the online videos very helpful.

Other than that, there’s no substitute for having a real project to cut your teeth on. Best if it is small and simple and you are prepared to take way longer on it than you would using software you are familiar with.

I don’t know of a single source that would give you everything in one place but there are definitely some simple ground rules. I would say the three most important are group, group, and group. That is, get used to grouping things early doors. All basic geometry to live on Layer 0. Layer 0 always active. Groups and components ascribed to layers. Learn about scenes and styles. And as you have Pro, get used to using that for presentation. You rarely need text or dimensions in SU itself.

Thank you very much for your sharing!

Model things around you. Things you can get your hands on and measure and turn. This will quickly help you find out what you don’t know how to do. Then find the answers.

1 Like

You are right that I really need to get use to grouping coz I always find myself forget to group or quit group.

Oh that’s a good suggestion, haven’t thought of that! Thanks!

I’d recommend (almost) always using Components rather than Groups. Every time you finish drawing some ‘object’ in your model, make it a Component. That way you will keep the geometry of different parts of your model from sticking together, and if you accidentally delete something, you can get it back from the Component Browser.

Also, if you have more than one copy of an object in your model, if they are the same component, rather than copies of a Group, if you change your mind then editing one copy of the component will change all the other instances automatically. If you want them to be different, make one or more of the ‘new’ ones Unique (R-Click) then edit one of the new version to make the selected Unique ones different from the original(s).

I find no real use for Groups EXCEPT that if you have a lot of unique objects in your model, and make them Groups instead of Components, you don’t clutter up the Component Browser. But if you DO use Groups, do take the time to give them meaningful names - it isn’t much help looking through the list in Outliner if everything has the same (default) name ‘Group’.

Give components meaningful names as you go, too - otherwise the Outliner just shows Component #1, Component #2 etc, which is little more helpful than Group, Group, …

I find the best way to learn SU is to monitor this website and read/ follow the posts here that peak your interest. You will be presented with the problem, and witness one of the sages address it and most often offer more than one solution to the problem.

3 Likes

I think it’s important to have the basic tools DOWN SOLID!! … in particular I’d place emphasis on making sure you are comfortable (…even skilled) in moving, orienting, and rotating objects around in their 3D model space. Mastery in this area pays back big dividends as you go on to use all of the other drawing tools which are typically more self explanatory, and easier to use.

Many tools have secondary functions that are just as useful as the primary tools. (more big dividends payed for knowing what these are).

In a similar fashion the context menus which are available by right clicking upon a previously selected object house very handy access to useful tools too.

Also have a go at drawing it yourself before reading any replies.

1 Like

Back when I started in 2007 I used this forum (well… when it was a google groups thing I think), the videos on youtube, and the SketchUcation website which is superb also. I attach a link to a little pdf book with some brilliant pointers in there from the sages and learned ones, which frequent both this Official Forum and sketchUcation…

2 Likes

Thanks for your helpful tips! :grinning:

I will spend some time to read these posts!! Thanks!

I see, thanks for your sharing!

Thanks for your suggestion!

Thank you so much! This is very helpful!

I took the suggestion and found something around me to draw. This is what I was trying. First I divided the glass into 4 sections so that I only need to build one corner, then duplicated 4 times and I used the plug-in Round Corner to make it smooth. Finally used Vray to create the glass texture.

If there’s any other better ways doing it, please feel free to share! Thanks!

Not necessarily better, just another approach that uses SU options which are often helpful…

The photos you’ve taken can be imported into SU. where the two pictures can be properly scaled, and then used as a visual reference,… accessed directly from within SU’s model space.

This sort of thing allows for comparisons to be made where you can trace over, or just place guide lines into position that extend out past the photos, and onto the SU outlines your modeling.

You’re 4 sections approach here is fine. another alternative to that, would be to draw out the side wall profile, and then use the follow me tool to extrude the cross section around the path of the octagonal jar shape.

This could offer some improvements in terms creating the subtle curves which are involved in the modeled jar.

!

!

With the right photo’s you could probably pull off the raised/recessed (embosed ?) design to integrate into the jar.

it would be a good amount of work, requiring a lot of patience,… but also a valuable learning exercise if you were up for that level of detailed modeling work.

This is why so many folks just model simple tea cups… you’re upping the game just a little bit with this jar here.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.