How would you cut this corner?

advice

I’m following this floor plan on which one of the corners is shown to be cut (see image). I obviously didn’t trace this part initially in fear of messing up. Now I’m wondering what is the best way to approach this. Simple, I know, but I’m curious as to how you pros would do it. Thanks.

There are a number of ways to do it. Here’s one.
Corner

Ah! Excellent. Off to watch that a million times now!

Thanks so much.

PS from where did you start your 2 guide lines?

They are arbitrary lines. I used those as the stand ins for the lines you have in your floor plan image.

I think the key here is to be fearless from the beginning. Once you get the hang of it, it will be easier than going back and fixing things after the fact.

Shep

Thanks. Good advice. I’m usually of this mentality, but decided to err on the side of caution for once!

Right on. Thanks.

In fairness, it’s good to know how to fix things too. :hammer_and_wrench:

For sure.

My main concern was the possibility of throwing everything off scale by making it crooked, then having to suffer the consequences down the road when I’m trying to push out a window or something. I don’t know. I don’t even know if that would happen! Noob.

It would be wise to not simply trace the edges in the image. I would set up a guideline with the Protractor to so you know the angle precisely (inferencing can tell you that you’re on the 45, too) and then use the Tape Measure tool to set a guide out from the inside edge to make sure you get the wall thickness matching the adjoining walls.

If you can work well with groups and components, you would ideally create this cut as a separate group. That way it’s isolated from the geometry of the wall, if you find you have made a mistake later on you can come back and edit it rather easily and without causing any problems with the rest of the model.

Ok.

Btw I can already tell my next difficulty will be isolating that triangle so I will be able to pull it up the way you did, as when I hover with the PP tool the whole model gets highlighted/tiny blue dots.

Can you upload the SKP file? The PP tool shouldn’t highlight more than one face since it won’t work on more than one at a time.

Funny, I just mentioned this in my reply.

The extent of my experience working with groups is selecting “make group” at the beginning. That’s it.

How should I create the cut as a separate group?

Hmmm. I’ll try.

Groups can be useful but I don’t think I’d make that chunk of the wall a group separate from the rest.

Try this:
Corner

The magenta line following the Line tool indicates that the line is intersecting the edges equidistant from the corner meaning it’s 45° to them since they are at 90° to each other.

I would just watch the first three getting started videos on the SketchUp you tube channel, they explain all of these things and more, you will be set within an hour. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv7TrGnZ17w&t=304s

Ed: @DaveR Yes I agree and it’s not something I would do myself, just the advice to OP that anything you are worried about that you may need to come back to at a later time and edit, it’s always easier in my opinion when it’s a group rather than part of everything else.

Does this work? I uploaded to 3d warehouse. https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/b3c278fb-f792-4128-9a7f-b156d0209675/1705-house-plan

Yes. Opening it now.

I see the problem which wasn’t evident in the screen shots due to the X-ray face style. You have a face over the top of the walls. Delete that face so you have access to the walls themselves. Then you can do what I showed.

Corner