How to un-make a component

How do I un-make a component.

Right click, explode.

Thanks so much, just was not going the extra step and deleting the component after the explode.

By delete, do you mean purge unused, or did you mean erasing the now-loose edges and faces? If the latter, you should also purge.

If you just want to get rid of a component, delete it then purge it from the model, exploding just removes the wrapper from that specific instance.
Not knowing the reason behind your question leaves us a bit in the wind.

Sorry for the vague question, my blunder, New to all of this. I guess what i was trying to do is remove the component name without removing the component.
If i have a object that i have named as a component Example #4 and i just wanted to remove the name but not the object. i am not ready to make the object, not even sure i want to make it an object at all. I am a bit of a perfectionist and don’t like things laying around that i really do not need.

Your explanation leaves me confused. I’m not sure what you really want to accomplish.

A name is just an identifier, it is not the thing itself. Removing the name would leave a component still “laying around” but with a blank name. Conversely, you can’t apply a name to an object until the object exists, so your comment about not ready to make the object but want to remove the name doesn’t make sense to me.

I can think of too many scenarios for what you might have done or want to do, so I’ll leave it to you to try to explain better what you need.

2 Likes

If you absolutely don’t want to clutter the in model components list, explode the component and, immediately, while everything is still selected, make a group. Doing so allows you to keep that object in case you need it for future use.

Another way could be to save it as a separate SketchUp (SU) model. Doing so allows you to import it back later in your model if you need it.

Another possibility is to rename that “Example #4” component with a more explicit name like “Table - To be decided” or whatever suits you. This choice is the one I would opt for unless the size of this component is too big to allow for fluid working with SU.