How to stop view cutting half-way of object/wall like this (image included)

i’m not sure if this is because of viewing problem or the camera view settings. But here also the camera setting.

Shot in the dark:
View>SectionCuts

Nope, that didn’t work… I’ve been using SU for a long time and this very issue is why I’m on this Forum. This started happening to me recently and I, for the life of me, can’t find the reason. The problem is… you can’t zoom in close on anything because the object in the drawing “parts” and you zoom THROUGH it instead of coming closer.

I think I’ve tried every button in the program. I hope someone can answer this.

It is clipping. Usually caused by having a very large model or having it located far from the origin, or sometimes by having parts of the model that are off screen but closer to the camera than the part you are trying to zoom. The latter can often be fixed by setting a narrower field of view, sort of like choosing a telephoto lens and stepping back.

2 Likes

Nope… reduced the drawing to a small file size and didn’t change a thing.

Not a smaller file size, a smaller area in x,y,z coordinates. File size does not matter. Generally clipping is caused by geometry placed far from the origin. Say if you had a landscape that was 5 kilometers wide, then it get difficult to zoom into small things. Press zoom extents and see how big your whole model is, if there is distant geometry then zoom extents will have to zoom way out to include it.

I’m a kitchen and bath contractor so none of my drawings are more than about 30 or 40 feet. I opened another drawing that’s actually a little bigger from a week earlier and I don’t have the same issue. I’m baffled.

Post the .skp file and we’ll sort it out. Drag and drop the file from your HD into a reply window.

Electrical 2-gang plate.skp (48.0 KB)
Here is a rather simple model that as soon as one double-clicks the component the issue being discussed happens However prior to double-clicking the model looks fine.

1 Like

slbaumgartnerSketchUp Sage

12d

It is clipping. Usually caused by having a very large model or having it located far from the origin, or sometimes by having parts of the model that are off screen but closer to the camera than the part you are trying to zoom. The latter can often be fixed by setting a narrower field of view, sort of like choosing a telephoto lens and stepping back.

To me this is a small model, at the origin, I am unable to adjust the camera to eliminate this issue. If nothing is picked, I can move up to a corner to inspect it, but as soon as I double-click to open the Component, I can no longer see the corner, or deal with it in any manner, it has simply disappeared from editing view.
Perhaps I just don’t know what the camera angle should me to accomplish editing the corner. Can you please be a bit more specific as to what to do.

Right click on it and choose Scale definition and you should be set to go.

Mind you, if it was me I would remake it as it has some tiny errors. The top and bottom curves are not consistent and it is ever so slightly twisted so your faces are broken. If you right click and choose Reset scale you can work on the massive version and correct the errors.

The errors are what I was investigating when this issue arose.
Thank you for the Scale Definition - I’s not come upon it previously.