How to import textures into SU for web

Hi,

I am wondering how I add my own textures using my own jpeg image files? Is this possible in the free version? I can’t quite remember exactly, but I was able to do it in SU Pro when I had it.

Any help or suggestions appreciated, thanks.

SC

Click on the hamburger menu at the top left corner of the screen. Select Insert.

Choose the location where the file resides.

Select the file and choose how you want to use it.

If you are going to choose Material you’ll need a face onto which you can apply the material.

Note: my screen shots come from Shop. The last one shows a bunch of file types that aren’t available to SketchUp Free users but you can import raster images.

Another note: the free web version doesn’t have any option to edit materials so you’ll want to do that in an image editor before importing. For your hobbyist needs it should still work fine, though.

Hi Dave,

‘Hamburger menu’ made me lol, that’s great, thanks for your clear explanation👍

Regards,

Sarah

I don’t know who came up with that name. I’d be disappointed if I was served a hamburger that looks like that. Glad it helped, though.

1 Like

Originally “hamburger” meant only the mincemeat steak. Street vendors started putting it between slices of bread to prevent customers from soiling their hands. I remember that Raymond Chandler mentions a “hamburger sandwich” in one of his books.

Another funny word is “wiener”. In America it means the sausage part of a hot dog. Where I live it is what others call a “Danish pastry”.

Well, if the hamburger or the hamburger sandwich looked like that, I’d probably not be very happy. :smiley:

😆I probably should be staying away from the hamburgers anyway.

1 Like

Wouldn’t that be three hamburgers?

Most important of all, why the hell doesn’t it have any ham in it.

3 Likes

Good question.

Haha! Random food related trivia, going to have burgers and weiners on the brain now.

Second thread of the day to mention food and my stomach is yelling up to see if my throat’s been cut. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Sorry about the OT, but after SketchUp the thing that turns me on most is cultural history, especially the “ordinary things”.

1 Like

There’s another way you can import your own textures - different from the method that DaveR showed.
On the right panel, click the “Material” tab and then “Colors” and select one random color.

Paint it on the surface you wish to apply the material and then click the "
" (the one circled in red and then change the material - I don’t have pro, so I cannot show you, but if you have Pro, that’s how you can do it. As I do not have Pro, I don’t know if Dave’s method works - I haven’t used it before.

Because it originated in Hamburg, not from ham.

:crazy_face:

What you show is available in SKetchUp Shop the OP is using SketchUp Free.

Although the user interface is different in Pro, the method I outline works in Pro. It isn’t part of the conversation because, again, the OP is using SketchUp Free.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.