How to "flatten" contours in a drawing

Hello

I’m sketching some retaining walls within this plan utilizing the site contours as a guide for wall.

I’m trying to flatten contours to plane of house and other elements to create a final 2D site plan.

File was imported from AutoCAD 2018.

I tried to flatten within AutoCAD, but this did nothing after importing to SU.

I tried Eneroth Flatten to Plane, but this didn’t solve the issue.

House and other site elements are flat to plane, but contours appear in 3D.

When using ARC tool to sketch retaining walls lines sometime get caught on contours at varying elevations.

Any thoughts on how to flatten contours so I can draw over contours and not get caught up on their elevations?

Thanks!

Sharing the SKP model file would help the community help you.

I use this extension: https://extensions.sketchup.com/pl/content/eneroth-flatten-plane

Whoops sorry thought I’d uploaded file. Thanks

477Summit test .skp (680.4 KB)

Yep. As mentioned in my post, I tried this but didn’t work. Maybe I’m using extension incorrectly. Unclear on steps to utilize extension correctly perhaps.

Thanks

One trick is to go to top view, select Parallel Projection from the Camera menu, export a 2D Image to a DWG or DXF file and import that back into SketchUp.

3 Likes

You could use the native Drape from Sandbox Tools.

1 Like

TIG’s good old DropVerts should do the trick!!

2019-08-10_13-01-05

3 Likes

Im not sure why that didn’t work. Worked fine for me. Make sure you are inside the contour group before running it:

Thank you!

Thanks

Daniel

Daniel O’Kane

CAL LIC #1038951

Thank you! Will give it a go.

Thanks

Daniel

Daniel O’Kane

CAL LIC #1038951

Thank you! Will give it a go. Looks like a useful tool.

Thanks

Daniel

Daniel O’Kane

CAL LIC #1038951

Thank you! Will give it a go. I think that’s the issue here. I believe I only selected 1x. Thank you.

Thanks

Daniel

Daniel O’Kane

CAL LIC #1038951

1 Like

that did it. Thanks for the help

1 Like

I use the Architect Tools extension which does Flatten and Flatten to 0.

@ChrisDizon Really I think this should be a default SKP Pro tool grouped under the Sandbox Tools!!

@Anssi Thanks for the tip; i’ve never actually thought of doing it that way! Does it preserve groups, edge materials, etc?

Why does the scale tool not scale a group etc down to 0mm… this would be handy to flatten geometery

because it scales ‘vectors’ and you can’t have a zero length ‘vector’…

john

2 Likes