How to draw a circle on my intended plane (and other simple things)

Hello All! Picklewick here.

My old circular saw-table broke, and I’m faced with the distasteful option of buying another one (with money!) or building one. The latter will cost money too - probably more of it by the time I’ve finished, but it will be an interesting journey, and I can include all the features I want. First, I need to design it, and I’m finding PowerPoint a bit limiting. The 3D aspect if Sketchup is particularly attractive for foreseeing interference between the various components. However …

I’ve just downloaded Sketchup Make, and I find I’m unable to do the very first thing I tried. If we call the three intersecting planes between the X, Y and Z axes the XY plane, YZ and XZ, I’m still tryint to sort out how to draw a circle on my intended plane.

Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Welcome

One easy way to to draw the circle in the intended plane is to use the cursor keys. Left cursor will make the center axis of the circle align with the green axis, Up, with the blue and right with the red.

You can also orbit the camera to encourage the tool to align in the desired direction.

Aha! That does it! So easy when you know how.
Many thanks, DaveR.

Hello to you, Down the road if you need more instruction this link will lead to the help page:

http://www.sketchup.com/learn

Also if you click the little house icon at the top of the page it will direct you there as well. Clicking on Learn will open this up to you.

The Skill Builders and Video Tutorials are full of all the basics you will need to cut out some of the frustrations that come with getting started. It sounds like you prefer to be hands on and these will help you teach yourself. Or save a bit of time hunting for your solutions The Help Center provides all the documentation for all the programs capabilities. …Peace…

(Re-titled and moved to SketchUp category.)

@Picklewick,

(1) The “Introduce Yourself” topic is where all that “fluff” about needing to design a table saw should go. (Ie, the reason you landed here.)

But since you asked a question, your post and Dave’s answer got broken off by staff (pruned) and posted to a new topic thread.

(2) The topic titles should be a concise version of the actual question, and the body should get right to the point. (Make Occam happy.) Ie, take note of the Forum Guidelines:

Again, Tommy’s fault on mis-naming the pruned thread. (Can’t find the spank emoticon?)

(2) Until you learn how things are organized here using the Discourse forum engine, just post you questions in the main SketchUp category. (As chances are that is where they’ll need to be anyway, and we won’t need to move so many of them.)

P.S. - I now realize it was Tommy who put the pruned thread in the wrong category.
No big deal, they are easy to re-categorize.