How to Cut a Cylinder in Half

I have a cylinder that has been slightly rounded at the edges which is preventing me from using the Push/Pull tool to adjust the length. How do I bisect the cylinder (or any shape) so that I can get rid of the part I don’t want (the end cap)?

I know this must be a basic technique but I’ve never learned it. Would love a quick lesson!

Grab the end face and edges and use the Move tool (M keyboard shortcut)

The move tool will move the entire item - I want to be able to resize it. Also, I really need to know how to just cut geometry in half. This happens a lot and I can’t quite figure out the technique.

For this operation I can use the scale tool, and that works OK. But that’s not really my question.

If you just grab the end face and edges, it won’t.

Cutting it in half - I’m not sure

Why don’t you unsmooth the end?

Position a cutting plane at the midpoint of the cylinder and use Intesect Faces to combine the cylinder and plane. Erase half the cylinder and the edges of the cutting plane.

If the edges on the end must be softened/smoothed, you could just turn on Hidden Geometry and use Push/Pull. When you’re finished, turn off Hidden Geometry again.
cyl

The move tool will move the entire item - I want to be able to resize it. Also, I really need to know how to just cut geometry in half. This happens a lot and I can’t quite figure out the technique.

Double click the group or component containing the tube to open it for editing.

Then you can grab the end and move it.