How to create 3d model map with exact heights

Thank you very much! It is useful. I will use it in future.

But now i need to create landscape from zero.
I have created area from Sandbox contours (1)
Now i want to draw elements on it - roads, hurdles, trees, etc.

1. How to “paint” area with elevations with Goole Map texture? I have result on screen with #3, because it is not flat. I need this to redraw objects with it position
  2. How to draw objects with current position to use it with sandbox Stamp tool and Drape tool on this not flat model?
    thanks

Learn about “Projected texture”

and about what Eric recommended to you

1 Like

You could check out importing the OSM (Open Street Map) data as well. It should give you most road centre line strings & building footprints but not the heights, or check out PlaceMaker plugin if the data exists for the project area. Otherwise, check out Houdini (SideFX) but good luck learning that beast. Awesome program though, bring it into Unreal or Unity & make a racetrack that you can actually race cars around with everything procedural. HDA’s are so cool.

1 Like

Have you checked the actual accuracy of Google earth terrain heights… I would never consider then EXACT… my understanding they can be +/- 3m of more…

2 Likes

Hi gsharp. Yes, +/- 3m or more easily, depending on the variability of the terrain. The grid size of the terrain says it all when you import google terrain into SketchUp. You can only get as much detail as the amount of points on the grid. For detailed terrain I get LiDAR scans of areas to capture the required amount of detail. Trouble is, it all cost money. So only warranted on commercial projects with the required budget.

I also use Height Map terrains, which can generate from Height Maps in programs like Houdini and make Height field terrains which then can convert to geometry & adjust the grid resolution as required. Pretty awesome program Houdini, I must say.

Yes, here in Vietnam (and most of tbe world) the best we can get online is google earth 3d terrain sources from the space shuttle radar mapping of the earth, sampled at 90m grid and +/- 3m height deviation… otherwise its a commercial survey… we only use google for context

Guys, how to create surface from roads from cadmapper?
I need to colorise it with some color. But roads from cadmapper it is not surfaces

• Select the road, only the border
  • Unsoft and unsmooth the border lines
  • Drape the road over the terrain
2 Likes

thanks!