How to add a taper on a curved surface

I’m currently making a model of a guitar I want to build. I want everything to be to scale, and I want everything to look exactly how I plan to build it. I’m running into a few problems with the bridge, though. Here’s what it looks like from the top:

bridge

The top half of the curved line is what I want to cut out of the bridge. If only using Sketchup was as easy as drawing the line and taking it to the bandsaw.

I would add a picture of an actual guitar bridge, but I’m new to this forum and can’t upload more than one image at a time. Needless to say, I’m still relatively new to using Sketchup, so any advice would be awesome.

bridge 2

I know the push/pull tool won’t work here, but this is what I want it to look like all across the curved part of the bridge. It gets it exactly right up until it hits the curve, then stops. I need the curve to continue into the … curve. I don’t know if I’m making any sense, but if you google “acoustic guitar bridge” it should give you an idea of what I’m going for.

FollowMe is the tool you want for this one. One quirk (feature) of the FollowMe Tool is that it moves the profile face to be perpendicular to the path before extruding, which is why I extended the path in the 1st step.

5 Likes

Another option is to hit ctrl with the Push/Pull tool and it will continue through the curve, then intersect faces and remove what you don’t need.
ctrl

3 Likes

Thanks, guys! It worked perfectly.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.